Moderation on the Community

If you feel they do please flag them or drop one of us a DM so we can pass this on. I’m confident the decision making isn’t biased towards pro monzo when a post breaks the conduct.

4 Likes

If staff disagree with us over what does or doesn’t break rules then they are automatically right since they make the rules.

At the point we start disagreeing with that principal then it’s probably healthier for all concerned if we back away from the forum completely at that point! A battle of wills of that sort of minor thing is something that is unwinnable.

2 Likes

At the end of it all, this place is on the internet, the internet always seems to be a place of polarised opinions.

We make this place, if we keep on over analysing each other, or finding ways to sway off topic endlessly we be the making of our demise.

Rather than finding ways to highlight it all, why don’t we just post like we used to, and let the few that try to rock things drift away when they don’t get any reaction.

13 Likes

Why would they reply or talk about things? See flag, review post, take action (or not) seems to be the process. I’ve never had anything other than a canned response to a post I’ve flagged. Like it or not, that’s simply the way they work.

2 Likes

I think this only happens if we let it happen. The onus is on all of us to behave temperately and to discuss the facts rather than, in your words, “tear at each other endlessly”. Indeed, I worry a bit that it is characterisation like this that sometimes make it more difficult to engage when disagreeing.

For my part, I have noticed users whose approach seems unnecessarily aggressive. Now, we look at content not tone, but their approach is above a stylistic difference and into micro aggressions. It takes different forms - bringing grievances from different threads into current conversations, not letting issues go, bringing up pet issues, and so on and so forth.

These all add up and recently I’ve found myself not wanting to go near threads where certain people are posting. :man_shrugging:

I suppose my plea is for us to engage constructively and to acknowledge that opinions aren’t binary. Look for middle ground, try to be empathetic and to see things from others’ perspectives. Ultimately, we’re just a bunch of people writing on the internet - we shouldn’t all take it so seriously!

8 Likes

It’s the personal attacks that I find most unpleasant.
There’s an edge of if you’re not with us, you’re against us… and we’re coming to get you.

Just days after users were thrown off the forum for doxxing a guy in one thread, blind eyes have been turned to personal attacks on a journalist - just because he wrote something that went against the prevailing wind here.
Not content with that, some forum members took it upon themselves to actively harass the guy on twitter.

I think when this happens - without challenge - the community starts to actually damage the Monzo brand. That’s a huge shame.

5 Likes

I don’t tend to ascribe motives to other people when they take actions like flagging. I don’t know who they are or why they did it.

Making up a justification in my head as to ‘why’ something happened just leads to me getting annoyed at a fiction I’ve invented myself.

7 Likes

If this is true, fair enough. If it’s not then let’s not make it seem true by writing it here. I don’t know know who did what nor what their forum status was.

I’ve seen people here get angry at others because they had a different opinion, regardless of their opinions your not meant to attack someone just because they won’t agree with what you want.

Forums are difficult to moderate. You need to create a good set of rules and then apply them equally with no bias, both aren’t easy to do. If your going to have a forum you can’t just silence someone because they’re a bit grating or have an opposing view, and you also can’t just let someone off because they said something you liked even though it broke a rule.

Rules need to be clear and easy to understand. If the rules are ineffective they should be changed, and if the rules are fine they should be applied equally.

From the occasions I’ve seen it’s not always that anyone’s doing anything wrong and seems more to be that people won’t stand back and allow people to discuss views openly . Basically you can’t change someone’s opinion, so stop bringing out the bat to try and make them change.

4 Likes

If true, is it monzo’s place to dictate what goes on outside of their domain in this regard?
I agree it shouldn’t happen but policing the internet can be difficult.

4 Likes

I don’t personally see this, it’s ashame if you feel that’s happening but I am 100% sure things are spoke about at Monzo following flagging, and compared to most internet forums, we are given a lot more space to talk things through rather being stopped for every little thing.

I do hope we can find a way to feel happy on here and can just get back to posting on the community without needing to get polarised so consistently.

Anyway it’s Sunday evening, and this is starting to go In circles for me, so I’m off to walk the dogs and see life away from my keyboard for a bit :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Well said, sir!

5 Likes

Not necessarily, although you can make it clear that you never suggest or condon people do certain things. You by no means have to police anyone as much as some people these days would like.

That kind of thing seems to stem from the fact the some people here seem to have forgotten that Monzo are a bank and a company. You have zero loyalty to Monzo but people act like they can do no wrong. It’s not healthy.

If someone doesn’t like a thread

#JustSaying

9 Likes

I think it’s fine :man_shrugging:

This is piralling around itself now and we’re back into areas where a whole lot of personal opinion is now being repeated as fact.

This is where all the problems begin.

We all think differently about things and without tone, the writtten word is notoriously hard to read. It’s terribly easy to say what’s good, bad, should happen and shouldn’t happen when you read something in the tone of voice you want it to have been written in.

3 Likes

While I agree with this, I do have think that flagged posts are often the most interesting.

I always stop to look at flagged posts first when scrolling down a thread.

8 Likes

There is no bias, mods tell everyone off all the time even me.

People get banned all the time.

People get flagged all the time.

You only see one side of things.

It’s a forum, it’s the internet.

9 Likes

No beard Noel is really creepy.

7 Likes

Emoji’s for life.

1 Like