Messaging Apps

I :heart:'d that. Not because I think you’re less trusted. But Simon…

3 Likes

It was a mistake, @cookywook has kindly fixed it now :pray:

So, about those, um, messaging apps, am I right? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Glad to see flagging is now an L3 privilege - Should stop mess flagging on things

1 Like

It’s normally the regulars who do the flagging :joy:

2 Likes

I always thought it was just revels. But honestly, I’ve not seen the flag mess in a while now so maybe this did fix the issue. Could you see who when you worked at Monzo? Wanna spill the tea? :eyes:

Only time I’ve seen posts get hidden lately is when they break the rules and absolutely deserve it. Low level users don’t get bullied with it as a disagree or as an I don’t like you button anymore, which is great. @AlanDoe succeeded in their mission!

4 Likes

Na I could never see who flagged :slightly_frowning_face: but I could guess just by reading the posts who and why :joy:

1 Like

I could always see who flagged, but I was an admin, so perhaps it wasn’t the case for mods.

3 Likes

Does anyone have any knowledge of RCS, and how do you think Apple will implement it? I’m wondering if it will go through the Messages app, perform almost the same things as an iMessage (group chat, read receipts, rich links etc) but be green bubbles instead of Blue. I’m hoping this can be the nail in the coffin for my last WhatsApp group, then I can finally get rid.

It was discussed in another thread. Apple are going with the open RCS standard. Two major UK carriers support the Google standard so it won’t work on those networks.

Why have one standard when you can create your own, cause fragmentation just to steal people’s data? It just means things won’t work for a while longer until Apple’s weight behind the open standard means Google will have to abandon yet another project.

Ahh I missed the other thread I think. Do we know who the UK carriers are using Google’s solution?

Steal people’s data by implementing E2E encryption in your fragmented standard sounds like a great plan :ok_hand:.

O2 and Voda I believe.

E2E encryption applies to data in transit. You need Google’s app to use RCS at all and at that point any encryption is moot because Google will have nice easy access to everything you send/receive.

And the standard wouldn’t be fragmented if Google didn’t make it so.

Indeed. It just wouldn’t effectively work as no one’s implementation was interoperable, but at least it would (still) be open!!! :+1:.

Why couldn’t Google have implemented it, thus putting their weight behind it and making sure it gets picked up, rather than reinventing the wheel again?

I’m not an expert, but my understanding is that it was the carriers that just weren’t doing the work to make their RCS implementations interoperable, so Google made their own that they all then adopted.

This is mainly US centric but definitely watching the development, I am more interested in all your chat apps in one place over iMessage so signed up to the waitlist.

1 Like

Does this code let you skip the waiting list?

Sadly not that is for the mini function which is just iMessage on android, bleeper cloud is what I want, although I may use that anyway as they are going to put it all on one app thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ironically something you can’t get with android because Google’s RCS is closed source apis which other apps can’t access unless you are Samsung.
Pretty sure beeper would have wanted to implement RCS and be a one messaging app as well.

1 Like

That is exactly what beeper cloud is:

Has a long waitlist at the moment, and they are going to merge it with mini anyway. This implementation of iMessage uses the virtual Mac, but I have 0 interest in activating the iMessage side, just all apps in one place

1 Like