Merchant Data Corrections

I have some merchant names that are misleadingly incorrect, so i sent a message in chat. The very kind COps offered to correct it there and then, and asked me to DM her the correct names. I spent time going through them, getting the names and logos for her.

Then someone else replied and told me that wasn’t the right way to do it, and I’d have to submit them in app.

I understand that staffing priorities mean they can’t work on these - fair enough. But then don’t make me do work and then shut the door in my face. It’s a waste of everyone’s time.

18 Likes

Yet another classic example of Monzo’s left arm having completely no comprehension what the right arm is doing, sadly.

I’ve said it over and over, from what I’ve witnessed, there is something fundamentally wrong with the way Monzo customer service is structured. It began around the time the bank built its own chat engine, and I suspect that has entrenched the inability to do anything easily.

13 Likes

I agree that problems seemed to start when they moved to their own one-thread chat system.

3 Likes

They’ve not touched ones from months ago, if you’re not going to be fully invested in ensuring the enriched data is kept up to date then what’s the point.

I get for the majority they might never see a problem, for them I’m jealous of them :fu::sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ouch. That kind of behaviour is one of my pet peeves sometimes in my own work - don’t make a colleague’s mistake the customer’s problem. Generally we can finish dealing with the customer, explain (if caught in time and if necessary) that whatever we did we would not be able to do again, and use it as a teaching moment for staff later (making mistakes isn’t necessarily a problem; they are opportunities to learn and do better next time).

In this case, it sounds like you may have DMd the information after the first COp had gone off shift, and instead of the message waiting for her to clock back on, it got sent to a different COp instead who misread the room and decided to be a rules lawyer about it. One of the many problems with having a One True Chat Thread instead of a multi-messaging system. Even if they’re technically right, it’s not a great look to follow up a colleague’s offer of help by metaphorically crossing your arms and being like “Well I’m not going to go above and beyond, mate”.

In some respect, what potentially makes it worse is that in the past, Monzo staff have said that when old submissions from months ago don’t appear to have been touched, it’s usually because they can’t see from the report what’s actually wrong (or they can’t verify that the new information is correct). So if someone’s sending a message for that reason and then gets told to self-report… that’s not going to go down well.

Ach.

12 Likes

I just don’t see any evidence that this bothers monzo :confused:

1 Like

Have a look at a later reply:

All fair points, except that not ALL of my changes were from years ago (in fact all of the ones i dmed the COps were a few weeks old). And also also also: the rules change from one COp to another. Don’t ask me to resubmit if you’ve already decided you don’t want to input the changes.

I’m fine with them not prioritising merchant data. But don’t encourage me to do Monzo’s work AND THEN tell me to get lost.

I know this a ridiculous thing to get angry about (I’m very very aware!) but I can’t remember an incident at Monzo that has infuriated me like this has.

7 Likes

Raise a complaint. I think that’s a fair response, given you did what was asked in good faith, then dismissed.

2 Likes

Sadly, that’s what happens when too many COps looking at the same case :flushed:

Newbie COps need better training on such matters :grimacing:

If COps not sure about something :see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil:, they should report it to senior staff member(s) instead of winding up customers throughout the app chat :scream::pleading_face:

2 Likes

I’ve submitted quite a few suggestions recently, including one for card payments to my company (which also has a Monzo business account) - none of the changes I submitted have been applied…

It’s such a shame that one of the “key features” Monzo launched with is now done better by some high street banks…

1 Like

Still a bit shocked that Revolut seem to have no way to submit corrections

Do these other banks, or are they just getting the main ones correct as well?

Which banks do merchant data well? (Or let’s say: better than Monzo)

Reading back, that part was badly phrased. I was referring to the speed and accuracy of updates - the updates I submitted at around the same time to Barclaycard seem to have been made.

1 Like

Sorry, what?

Barclaycard do merchant data? Where? Since when? I’ve never seen any and I checked just now to make sure I’m not completely mad!

Now that everyone’s doing this, the proper solution would be for the payment processors to allow businesses to set their own names and logos somehow. I’d imagine that requires quite a big upgrade…

3 Likes

This thread’s gone quiet…

Is this because we’ve all given up? None of my recent* submissions have been corrected

* 15/8, 12/8, 27/7, 24/7, 28/6, 3/6, 5/12/2020

2 Likes

I get the impression that they only look at this when there’s an event (like Year in Monzo).

I wonder, though, if we might see any movement because of Trends. If spend by merchant is going to be a thing - and they collect revenue because of it - they have an incentive to get it right. More so, when you consider they might need to rework the whole system for connected accounts…

1 Like

I am awaiting 1 correction which i submitted a few weeks ago.

I contacted in app chat a few times to see if they could help and i just got the same response that it will be updated soon.

1 Like

Starling’s is equally crap - in fact, they don’t even show the logo on their own transactions! :joy:

7 Likes

I can confirm I’ve had zero of 46 submissions updated this year :unamused:

7 Likes