March Monthly Update

Any insight on Tandem? I see their name mentioned a lot?

2 Likes

It’s worth knowing that the direct debits come through as “Bank of Ireland” while card payments come through as “Post Office Credit Card” just to confuse things.

2 Likes

Thanks for this

How far is the Amex intergration off being rolled out?

I think the time is right for a poll!

2 Likes

Monzo customers haven’t changed then I see.

2 Likes

We is want to be have good grammer rules yes.

4 Likes

I said please :slightly_smiling_face:

As a developer it in extremely important to ensure there are no anomalies. An Oxford comma helps with that

Uhmmm, isn’t an Oxford comma frowned upon in traditional English?

Way off topic now.

But what is ‘traditional English’? Language evolves. Oxford comma is widely accepted.

3 Likes

You should apply to be a moderator :slight_smile:

Look on Google, it’s always been said it’s entirely optional to use it, but more often than not causes confusion.

2 Likes

Such are the joys of the English language!

1 Like

I’ve not been on the forum in a year, and the first thing I saw was him moaning about an Oxford comma. Sums up why I stopped posting here in the first place :joy:

No such thing as ‘traditional English’. Plenty of rules made sense once upon a time but no longer do, and some - like the split infinitive rule - never actually made sense at all.

In my view, English is meant to be understood, and that means where a certain construction is ambiguous, then it should be altered or rephrased to remove the ambiguity*. In this case, that would mean using an Oxford comma.

My favourite examples of things gone wrong without an Oxford comma include a dedication from a book:

Dedicated to my parents, Ayn Rand and God.

And a TV guide listing:

The highlights of his global tour include encounters with Nelson Mandela, an 800-year-old demigod and a dildo collector.

tl;dr, the Oxford comma is good and no sensible person would frown upon it.

*unless the ambiguity is intentional

6 Likes

“Oxford commas are like the Ugg boots of the punctuation world. People either love them or hate them or don’t know what they are.”

1 Like

My favourite part of you sharing that link is that the source comes out as pro-Oxford comma at the end of the article :rofl:

1 Like

Yeh I’m well aware of that. You’ve missed the point :smiley:

Just something to argue about isn’t it lol, like everything in 2019.

The fact is, Monzo poster shouldn’t have been pulled up for not putting one :+1:

It’ll be interesting to see how pots, loans/overdrafts, credit cards and other accounts will be ordered on the Accounts page.

At the moment it looks like it’s just gonna be a continually growing vertical list which doesn’t seem like the greatest idea.

We’re hoping to have a (admittedly rough and early) first version for keen testing types in the next couple of weeks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is something that’s very much top of my mind - I have a few ideas on how to bring some order to it, but would love to hear what y’all think could work well.

1 Like