Manage Tabs Upgrades

It’s still just guess work though, regardless of how it’s done. There isn’t a sure fire way of knowing this automatically.

When a card transaction is made, there’s no requirement to tell the processor or bank it’s part of a subscription. It’s just an amount for £x being taken from the account. A “Continuous Payment Authority” doesn’t exist a tangible thing, it’d just an agreement you have with the merchant to say they can charge your card inline with the terms you’ve signed.

This looks incredible!

I’ve been hoping for a while that bill pots may get some polish.

I hate to be that guy and add yet another you-already-know-what-I’m-going-to-say comment, but pretty please bring this to joint accounts too (both bill pots polish and virtual cards) :angel:

4 Likes

Bills pot polish is a thing for Joint Account Bills Pots, well for me anyway:

Ignore all the red stuff. Monzo is wrong. I know Monzo is wrong because of a calculation that I know is right, but Monzo thinks is wrong. I forgive Monzo on this occasion.

HOWEVER - virtual cards on Joint Accounts brings me right back to having Plus/Premium available on Joint Accounts. Again.

stuck_record

6 Likes

The point is though, other banks can pick out subscriptions, it’s partly why it’s been such a requested feature, and even if it’s not then a user marking it as recurring a recurring payment is a pretty good marker.

The point is that the app now implies subscriptions paid with a virtual card will be accounted for in your left to pay figure, therefore they know whats a subscription and what isn’t. SO surely if they can do it with a vc they can do it without.

I might be wrong, which if i am the text in the app needs updating. All my subscriptions are gone out for the month now so can’t test untl next months and the month after, but now ive changed the card details on them to the vc, if after next month they get added to the left to pay then they clearly know.

Edits: They’re also must be some sort of marker because all continuous payments evade the need for a 3DS check.

I wonder if @mycl or one of his team maybe able to clear this up, if you read this, If i pay for subscriptions from my Bills Pot using a VC, will they get added to the left to pay figure in future months?

This comes up when I click on Netflix when trying to add it to my bill pot but the learn more link goes to a broken screen.

3 Likes

Yh I’ve seen i quoted above in text as I didnt want to share the screen because of the other transactions on the screen, didn’t think about cropping :joy:

1 Like

Sorry, will teach me to read the whole thread :crazy_face:

2 Likes

But this still isn’t a useful marker, because they are unlikely to know until there’s a cadence (or until you mark it as such, which you can already do). However, there are probably common ones that you can predict are likely to be recurring - Netflix, Spotify, etc.

It’s much the same as with direct debits - the agreement your bank receives doesn’t specifically detail the cadence or the amount, just that the agreement has been set up. If, for example, you go into credit with a third party and they skip a direct debit collection one month, the only time a bank is likely to know that there’s something different is when the direct debit isn’t collected.

Correct, you can set up payment methods as ‘for offline usage’ to flag that 3DS checks can’t be performed. Doing so doesn’t mean you’ve paid for a subscription though, it just means that any transactions made on that card were carried out without you being within a checkout flow, not that the amount is going to be the same every single time. When setting up a card like that, it’s possible to do so without even paying for anything at all straight away.

As a merchant, you can then collect against that card inline with whatever schedule you fancy - the only person you’ve advised is the owner of the card, not the payment networks or the bank.

[I’m no payment expert beyond integrating with processors for work].

1 Like

I suspect they will (I hope) as long as the “Repeating payment” toggle is set in the on position in the last transaction with that merchant.

1 Like

I suspect the same, however, the app implies it’s done automatically:

Thanks for sharing!

That’s interesting - I can create a new virtual card and set it pay from a pot, turns out I only have that, and not the polish yet.

The lesson is I should be more patient.

2 Likes

Liking the new look - this looks slightly different now that my Disney+ payment has come out :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Not seeing anything like this in my iOS app (3.99.0). Do you only get this screen with the new pots associated with virtual cards?

I’ve had a pot that I pay DD/SOs from for a couple of months but it still has the ‘old’ manage tab.

Same here. I can create a new VC and set it to pay from a pot but I don’t have the fancy new Manage tab yet.

1 Like

Oh now that’s lovely!

I don’t have this interface yet, but it looks phenomenal! This essentially just leaves the feed itself that doesn’t follow Monzo’s new UI just yet. 4.0 perhaps? :thinking:

One query I have is how well this left to spend is going to work with more sporadic things. My plan for instance, is to use a Virtual Card tied to a pot, to better manage my per food purchases. They’re on a 7 week subscription, so Summary can’t predict them, but I’m curious if they’ll show up in the left to spend bit of the pot?

2 Likes

You’ve mentioned this a few times. What sort of thing are you thinking of?

I’d like a general tidy up, a few tweaks (closing balance not amount spent on the feed) and more info on the transaction screen (details of the transaction - card number, virtual/physical/*Pay etc) - I’m sure I’ve written about it before.

But visually, what doesn’t seem to fit the current paradigm?

1 Like

The transactions screen has mostly been updated, just the top part with the map that’s still using the older edge to edge squared interface.

The best way to describe their direction with the UI, is to compare it to the iOS 15 card approach.

Revolut uses this stuff everywhere, and might be a good indication of how I’m expecting to see the feed update.

This sort of UI is now used everywhere else in the Monzo app except for the feed, and the manage tab for pots (but this has been redesigned in the new interface that’s rolling out for the manage tab for pots).

Does that explain what I mean better?

Essentially compare that Revolut screenshot with the manage tab for the main feed, and every other tab in Monzo, and apply that layout to the transaction feed. That’s what I’m thinking of. I think it’s only a matter of time before they do it though.

1 Like

Still a bit lost, I’m afraid - mostly because I don’t really get the iOS analogy (I’m on Android).

Let’s wait and see what changes 4.0 brings (if at all).

1 Like

How does the subscriptions affect the “left to spend” when paid from the pot ?

I have unsure if i need to remove the subscription payment repeats from the scheduled section of my main account ? As i was previously using my main car to pay for these items.

Or do these payments sort themselves out automatically ?

My apologies for the complex description of my issue.