I just had a strange experience I had this evening, using my Monzo card at a Q-Park parking machine.
It went like this:
- Put card in machine and wait
- Take card out as instructed, without even asking for a PIN
- Machine said ‘card declined’
- Monzo app said ‘Declined, please use Chip & PIN’ (this was weird because the machine was a Chip & PIN machine)
- Switched on ‘Magstripe ATMs’ in the app
- Put card back in
- Enter PIN as instructed
- Transaction went through
It seemed weird because even if the machine was trying to use magstripe initially, I thought magstripe payments were always enabled by default anyway, even if ATMs were switched off? And I have no idea why a machine with a PINpad would bother using magstripe in the first place anyway.