Couple of Changes

Noticed two changes that are generally good. Apologies if this has been known for ages… I haven’t seen it mentioned!

First I’ve noticed that when you turn magstripe on it now stays on for days rather than just 24 hours:

And it’s good that the overdraft rejection parts have improved, now directing you to Noddle to check your score. Or to Monzo University to learn about credit scores. However… you can’t come away from that screen and have to force close Monzo and re-open it. That should probably be fixed:

8 Likes

Android doesn’t quite match up yet :yum:

We’ve got the new extend magstripe ATM timing :grin:

Screenshot_20190317-084136

But no links to external places on the overdraft page :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sorry to be really naive but what does the Magstripe do?

I don’t know the technical details but in some countries I need to switch that on to use the card. Currently in Indonesia.

Exactly, some countries don’t have machines that can read the chip on the card. So the magstripe must be used, but Monzo has this disabled for card payments cash withdrawals by default for security reasons. It’s trivial to create a cloned magstripe card, so having it disabled by default means any copied card won’t allow you to withdraw cash.

2 Likes

Payments or cash machines? Theoretically the latter but there still seems to be some confusion around this.

2 Likes

I usually do it for precaution. When I was in Thailand a few weeks ago I couldn’t pay my hotel bill via a chip and pin machine. Called up Monzo, and was told to turn this on and it worked.

I assumed it was just for ATM withdrawals but now I have no idea.

2 Likes

It’s all very confusing. I think it’s the turn it off and on again of the banking world. If it’s not working, toggle n swipe. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

It worked tho. I don’t really know why. It was a chip and pin machine

Anyway my main point from this other change is that you can’t get rid of the screen without exiting Monzo. Add an X please.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.