Lockable home safe recommendations

After seeing a Reddit post earlier about how easy a certain safe is to get into, I’m looking for recommendations for a small home safe… for a friend of course

I don’t know which safe or video you saw. How much do you want to spend?

For obvious reasons I don’t want to say exactly what safe I have. However the important thing I think is the size and weight, and ideally you want it bolted to the floor.

Generally, the people that may break into your house are unlikely to be on an Ocean 11 style heist. They will just be opportunists / lowlifes who smash in a door and grab stuff. They aren’t likely to expertly pick a lock or crack a safe dial. On the other hand, if you can pick it up and walk away with it, it’s not really very useful even if they subsequently struggle to open it when home.

Fire and waterproof are also pretty good features because floods and fires are probably as common as break ins. About £200 should get you something large, solid, and something you are able to bolt to a floor.

Edit: before you all try and track me down and rob me, my safe is mainly for personally valuable items, it isn’t full of diamonds and cash sadly

2 Likes

Sounds exactly what someone with diamonds and cash would say.

6 Likes

The title of this topic made me think completely different about what it was gonna be about :sweat_smile:

Maybe rename to “Lockable home safe recommendations”

2 Likes

For basic needs, the fairly cheap electronic ones are pretty good, especially if you remove the batteries and just use the key.
We use a couple of these (one fairly basic, and one fire/waterproof), both are bolted down securely and the keys are kept in a hidden keysafe, with the keys to that kept on our personal keys.
Probably wouldn’t stop a professional, but as @breville_monkey says, anyone that breaks into your house is more likely to be an opportunist.

3 Likes

I mean frankly nothing will stop any concerted efforts. 10 minutes with an 240v angle grinder will cut through just about anything. The best you can do is it make it a bit more difficult for someone not prepared to encounter that.

4 Likes

Finding a place to hide it is also important, if it’s in more of an awkward or hidden area they’ll probably not even come across it. eg: Loft/Attic/Basement especially if you don’t need regular access to it.

3 Likes

One of ours is actually in the good lady’s wardrobe, buried under her fleece onesie :rofl:

4 Likes

Just remind me what’s your address again?

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Back to a more serious note, we also have a small lockable box (combination lock) with an integrated Kensington (laptop) lock which can be tethered to anything secure.
Been very very useful on our travels.

2 Likes

I think I’ve seen these on Amazon thought about getting one myself

2 Likes