Lock Pots to prevent impulse purchases

An elegant example of two (@nickh & @awjdean) opposing viewpoints coming together, disagreeing, seeing the other side, then shaking hands (with a smile, I reckon).

Get these two on the Brexit negotiations, I say :grinning:

2 Likes

Iā€™m always smiling @Demmedelusive :smiley:

And for what itā€™s worth, I donā€™t mind the development programme including nifty little features to assist some to budget (such as hidden pots and the like).

Iā€™d hope, though, that such ideas would not trump other known basic deficits being brought to fruition.

1 Like

Thanks for this suggestion @nathanthomson8! Although this feature isnā€™t on our main roadmap, this is something that the Vulnerable Customers team is looking into as a way of helping people protect their committed outgoings. Weā€™d love to be able to offer this at some point in the future :blush:

5 Likes

I wonder if you could get someone else to act as an authorisation for purchases? I could see Monzo offering a childrenā€™s account with big spends requiring authorisation?

I wonder if this could also apply to joint savings? Too many friends with horror stories of partnerā€™s wiping out savings accounts and being overly enthusiastic a couple of days after pay day!

agreed, I see no reason to waste time and money talking to agents.
just allow a toggle switch for a 24hour timer. once applied it takes 24hr to dedicative once you toggle it off.

2 Likes

I use another provider to save majority of my money, I only use pots for saving smaller amounts incase I need money straight away itā€™s there however with the provider am saving with it takes 24hrs to get the money which is enough for me not to withdraw it, thereā€™s some saving account that you have to give 30 days notices to get your money thatā€™s good if the 24hrs is not enough to deter you

1 Like

Could you please share the names of those apps (donā€™t worry that theyā€™re ā€˜competitorsā€™) so that other users can check them out?

The fact that they exist as standalone businesses suggests that this is quite a popular concept.

But this is a feature not a business for me, thereā€™s no reason why the challengerā€™s canā€™t provide the same service & all the other benefits of their service in one place..

the saving account I use is ford money that you give 24hrs notice to get your money ( by 2pm) day before, and for anyone looking for longer notice accounts should check out moneysupermarket they have a whole list of notice accounts that range from 30 days up to 180 days whichever suits you hope that helps

1 Like

I agree to an extent with this; with services like Plum, Cleo, Yolt, and Emma, and no doubt countless others that do some form of automated budgeting/money squirrelling, I think weā€™re becoming a little reliant on an AI to understand our priorities.

And I think on the point about Monzo providing it for the betterment of their user base - it can very easily become a fragmented product - where would you stop? (And, how do all these features get funded?)

I used to have a number of different current accounts all used to slow down my spending or minimise my ability to impulse buy. And Iā€™ve gone in and out of debt over a good number of years; but ultimately the thing that has helped me the most is ā€œZero Based Budgetingā€, or envelope budgeting; and making a budget each month where every single Ā£ in it has a job to do. Thatā€™s honestly been the best trick to reducing my impulse buy ability!

(Also, changing passwords to sites like Amazon, or cancelling free delivery options etc, helped too)

2 Likes

I didnā€™t read the whole thread so apologies if this is repeating things. What about a drunk lock? We all know at the weekend we wake up and realise that we spent far too much! Maybe having to solve a quick maths question to allow access to one pot?

1 Like

Thatā€™s actually quite a popular idea!

Drunk Mode - Temporary Card Freeze

And itā€™s on the teamā€™s list to deliver during their Monzo Time, although that doesnā€™t mean that itā€™s guaranteed to get built (more important stuff might get in the way).

Never noticed that post. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like