List of non-Mag Stripe ATMs

Report from Portugal:

It does work on the ATMs (they are all from the same operator SIBS) and it does work.
Asks it for a PIN (that can be more that 4 digits, not sure if mondo card can have longer pins tho) and once you’re in you only got the option for withdrawals (which was expected).

Funny thing is that after the transaction cleared (no longer greyed out) if displays the correct location and a Somewhere in location. but since I suggested the correct location manually not sure if this is because once it clears there is more data, or is my update contribution. :thinking:

Fails: So far in two different merchants on two different shopping food courts (on in Lisbon other in Coimbra) where they use on of those handheld GPRS Ingenico card machines it says the card is not supported immediately, does not even ask for pin.
Then it asks the merchant to use the MagStripe and then is does ask for a the PIN, but once entered says the bank was not online and fails. My take is the even if these readers do validate transactions on-line they sometime fallback to offline, so they only take cards that can do offline as well (if this makes sense?)

1 Like

Another piece of information: I got a number of those 2factor auth readers (like Barclays Pinsentry) for home banking from different banks. I can use any other bank card in any card reader to at least verify the PIN. But when I use Mondo card in any reader if reads “card not supported”.
Maybe Mondo card is using some new EMV protocol or handshake that is not recognized but some older card readers, including some handhelds at merchants?

The 2FA readers are using Chip Authentication Program. You would be right that Mondo cards do not support this (almost nobody outside UK banks does) but it very likely has nothing to do with your particular EMV/ATM issues.

2 Likes

I see. So the CAP application is a separate app in the card. I though it was an extension to the EMV app itself.

btw - I was just in yet another food court of another shopping center and in this particular shop the POS (probably from a different issuer bank) yield an more verbose error that the shopkeeper identified as the Mondo card being a Credit Card and not a regular Debit Card.
He had another machine just for credit cards, but asked me if I could use a national debit card instead, as he would be charged higher fees with the other reader. I ended using a local debit card, so I don’t know if it would work.

So far in Argentina and Uruguay everything worked, will report if I find issues!

In Indonesia it was a real struggle to find a compatible ATM. Managed to find one that works and that’s …

• Permata Bank
1 Like

In Japan the only bank I’ve found that works with Mondo is Seven Bank, the banking arm of 7-11 (yes, 7-11 runs a bank). You can find them in any 7-11 store, which are fortunately so common that I once found three on the same street.

2 Likes

Found another working bank in Indonesia. BCA works and is a relief considering they’re almost everywhere. :smile:

1 Like

I’m currently also in Indoneisa and lots of the ATMs are mag stripe but I did get cash from a Maybank one so that can be added to the list.
Thanks
Ashley

A map that collects data on where people have successfully withdrawn money using Mondo could be an idea? (Maybe this has been mentioned before…)

2 Likes

Now that would be a cool project i’d love to do if I was working at :mondo:!! :smiley:

and an ATM button - take me to the nearest supported ATM to my phone location

1 Like

If they can avoid an Uber god view situation, it would also be cool to visualise all transactions over time with blips on a map coloured for the category.

FWIW the mag stripe support issue seems to also impact payment at toll booths in Europe: France - Sporadic rejection of card at French road toll stations

I can confirm that some booths do work in France, but not all.

I’ve tried using my card in all ATMs in Managadu, Chennai, India. All of which are rejected - with some showing up the usual mag stripe issue, however some aren’t recognised in the app.

Another location in India is the village of Alangayam - I have tried my card in all ATMs in this village, including the ones listed as having Chip functionality. - All attempts have not been successful.

All in all been in India for 35 days now and have not been able to find a working ATM.

Hi Leah, I’m not able to edit your message for some reason, I only just created my account. Could you please add Costa Rica’s BAC ATMs to the list? Thanks, Yuriy

A post was merged into an existing topic: :mexico: Monzo in Mexico

Can u tell me plz where is magstripe ATMs working

1 Like

Magstripe working in this atm?

This topic is obsolete. If transaction is declined, you can turn on magstripe operation in the app, under manage section of your card.

4 Likes