Linux Ubuntu

This is mostly not required. People don’t tend to write malware for Linux. Windows has a much larger attack surface and the people that tend to fall for phishing emails etc are not normally the people that are using Linux. I would say there is a much larger percentage of power users on Linux than Windows and these people would likely spot something is wrong before it is too late.

There are some anti-malware packages available but I don’t think you need one. Usual things like not authorising something from an untrustworthy source and understanding commands you get on forums before running them can go a VERY long way!

Yeah, that’s it. You may be able to press F12 or something to do a 1-time boot to USB or you may have to change the order. It totally depends on what PC / Motherboard you have. A quick Google search should help with this if you are struggling :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Great I’ll give it a go tomorrow

I can remember back in the day when I used to change os regularly if you put a bootable dvd disk in and turned the computer on it would say " press any key to boot from dvd" so I’m guessing this is the same but with usb

This is mainly just Windows disks (If I remember correctly! I was only young at the time lol :smiley:).

This doesn’t happen with USBs though. You either need the USB stick above the drive in the priority or a one-time boot

1 Like

Cool.
If I have to modify the bios I’ll take a picture of the settings as they are so I can change back again after I’m done testing linux

Hopefully I don’t have to change anything but I’ll see how I get on and report back

1 Like

I wish you good luck! :+1:

I’m happy to help if you are stuck.

1 Like

We run Linux at work for use there on most desktop machines. For most tasks it’s just a GUI on a desktop that you can use to do stuff like install things, etc…

To be hoenst though, the only commands I would suggest learning how to do in terminal is installing/uninstalling applications. On ubuntu this is simply sudo apt-get install sl to install a program called sl.

One thing I have learnt when using different OS’s, is just to learn how to use their in-built search mechanism rather than where things are stored in the menus. This, for me at least, makes it 10x easier to jump between Windows, Linux, and Mac when I have to.

All I need is Web browsing and occasional torrent so nothing too complex

I have “removable” selected in the bios for the primary boot device but no luck
Also have USB selected in hdd group priority

Got into boot menu and hit enter on my SanDisk USB drive “usb-hdd0” but no luck
Like this…

Try

Go up to Hard disk and press enter, it should expand and show your hard drive and your SanDisk , click the SanDisk and save and exit .

Or

1 insert your USB key before entering the BIOS
2 Reboot and enter the BIOS
3 select ‘Advanced boot features’
4 select ‘HD boot priority’, select your key and bring it to line 1

That photo I posted is of Google

Heres what mine looks like

I click enter on it and then it just loads windows

Use the up arrow to bring it on top of the 3rd master and then press whatever it says enter is (it’s just out of the pic so can’t see.)

Done that it doesn’t load
I click on 3rd master like you said and it just loads windows

In the bios I can yes, not in the boot menu though . I tried it earlier…

When you click on master 3 does it instantly reboot, or does it ask you to save and exit ?

It just instantly loads windows after I click enter on it that was the boot menu

In the bios menu which I’ve just attached it does ask me to save so I click yes and restart

Did you create the bootable drive on Windows using these steps?

Yes step by step

It’s a new USB I bought today a SanDisk 16gb

Turn off the machine then replug the SanDisk in boot into bios , press enter on the SanDisk to boot,

If it loads windows then I would think that the boot device is corrupted and you should redownload that

2 Likes

OK ill re Download it now

I tried the LTS version, should I use that one?

1 Like

I feel like I read something in recent years about Microsoft deliberately making it more difficult to boot other operating systems in this manner for computers that shipped with Windows 10.

Unfortunately this is just a hazy memory and I don’t remember the specifics, but it’s possible there may be additional hoops to jump through these days.