Keeping Monzo accessible

(Richard Cook) #1

Today is Global Accessibility Awareness Day :heart:

We believe that focussing on accessibility is an absolute necessity. So here’s some of the work we’re doing to make sure everyone can access Monzo.

7 Likes

On the customer side i always find this a great goal, but one that can be difficult to completely achieve. Sometimes for example you just cant beat talking to someone and having them do something for you where the user interface is just unable to work for someone and never realistically will.

Do you find any difficulty in the limitations of Android or iOS in terms of making the app exposed to accessibility features?

And are there any plans for a tablet app? for iPad, android etc. A tablet optimised app would be a real benefit for everyone imo disabled or not, and would open a world of options for making monzo and peoples money more easily accessible.

(Ataul) #3

I think mostly the difficulty is baking it into our processes to make sure that we remember to do it, we test it, and we test to avoid regressions.

We’re starting to do this now - there’s several mobile engineers, testers and designers who are championing this effort and we’re hoping to make a noticeable difference over the next year.

One of the challenges is that we’ve got a lot of screens in both apps. It’s unlikely that there’ll be a “big bang” change from one version to another; it’s more likely that we’ll make these improvements in new areas, and older screens as we touch them/get feedback.

we can totally try :muscle:

2 Likes

That’s interesting to hear. Its good that its being baked into the process, your definitely correct that its an easy thing to overlook.

I may be forgetting, but have you taken feedback on the accessabiltiy people using Monzo need? Any considerations for public testing of specific accessibility features to make sure they work with the public who need them day to day?

(Ataul) #5

I know this feedback is collated separately - I think it’s mostly from chats with customer service that get escalated up. We’ve got several customers who’ve offered their help already, and I think it’ll make sense for us to get in touch when we’re a bit further ahead.

1 Like
(Thomas Smith) #6

chip and signature cards for people like the elderly or dyslexic or have difficulty remembering a pin number? most banks offer this now :slight_smile:

(Sarcasm is the finest form of wit.) #7

Hopefully just a choice of words but ‘make sure that we remember’ is an odd phrase for an agile team, it’s a requirement, so it shouldn’t be able to be ‘forgotten’? (Are you TDD, do you have accessible tests, or a Chameleon test bank perhaps)

(Ataul) #8

At the moment, it’s not baked into our processes/checklists. Once it is, yep it’ll be a requirement :+1:

1 Like
(Jake ) #9

A small point, but in terms of language it’s preferable to say ‘people are disabled’ than ‘people have a disability’. People are disabled by their environment and wider society – it’s not their bodies that is the problem. The social model is really useful to read to understand this better.

2 Likes

This isn’t really true for most people, though I get what your trying to say.

As for the phrase, it won’t be preferable because most don’t care. There’s nothing wrong with either.

(Sarcasm is the finest form of wit.) #11

Well that’s horrible.

I’m glad Monzo care.

Might have misread me. Most don’t care about the wording. ‘People have a disability’ is perfectly fine, the majority of disabled people aren’t bothered by that.

My argument is for monzo, they used the apparently inappropriate or in-preferable wording, but it’s not inappropriate, and it’s perfectly preferable.

1 Like
(Sarcasm is the finest form of wit.) #13

Ahhh ok, apologies, misread that completely.

2 Likes