Just received a mail that Monzo are closing my account

Oh well I’m stupid😂 thanks for that

I wouldn’t say that. Stupid people don’t ask questions to learn :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Type in caps to your friends often enough, and it’ll happen! My phone autocorrects the most random of words to all capitals at times, because I typed it that way once 18 months ago! if I type LOL in lower case for instance my phone makes it caps just like that!

2 Likes

I have 3 bank accounts in total. With Barclays, Monzo and HSBC. I also have one of those revolut accounts (although im not sure if it’s classed as a proper bank)

I only got this from Monzo, all the rest work fine and I haven’t received anything from them in relation to this- so my others haven’t been effected🙂

4 Likes

Big sigh of relief then. The others told me not to worry yesterday too but it’s good to hear it from someone that’s been through it too.

Cheers pal!

2 Likes

I just got a message that Monzo are closing my account. This has never happened to me so a little shocked tbh. I have never used my account for Crypto. I always had about £12-1500 every month going into the account and there were a bunch of regular payments set up.
I know I’ll never know why they are doing this and they will not explain but it just feels so unfair. I have had my account since from early beta days. I invested in Monzo and believed that they were going to offer something exciting and were going to bring banking into the 21st century.

oh well…

I just started a full switch so that I can have the last laugh … just kidding I feel a bit upset but there’s nothing I can do about it so just wanted to rant here.

2 Likes

I’m not sure you can do a full switch as your account is effectively closed?

This isn’t like the others with a 2 month warning, this is them deeming this more serious and they’ve shut your account right now.

As to not complicate things, I would open a new account elsewhere and not try to switch it.

2 Likes

And provide alternative bank details as requested so you get your money back without unnecessary delay (but of course the usual delay because of the processes involved)

1 Like

Actually, I intend to make it complicated. I know it’s my money which can get stuck somewhere but it’s only about £400 there and all the regular payments have been paid at the start of the month so just completed the switching form on my other account.
I don’t want to accept their decision to close my account (I know, they already have…) I want to ‘resign before I get the sack’

Not sure if I making any sense - Apologies!

Here my Monzo timeline over since they launched the current account…

ezgif-2-46bd0b066a7e

1 Like

It’s only going to complicate it for yourself though? Monzo don’t care.

And your summaries don’t prove anything either way.

It just feel wrong to fill those details. Kind a like admitting that I have done something wrong. I will not do that until I am forced to so full switch it is…

1 Like

I not trying to prove anything to you :slight_smile:

1 Like

They’ll just keep your money until you give them the details

Be interesting to see if the switch works as your account is closed so it seems very unlikely. I wonder if the other banked will get a message saying the switch is declined as Monzo closed your account :grimacing:

3 Likes

Or that the account is blocked which might raise :triangular_flag_on_post::triangular_flag_on_post::triangular_flag_on_post::triangular_flag_on_post: with the other bank

2 Likes

That’s what I want to see…

Well, they will give money back eventually but I am planning to go long on this. Complaint process, FCA etc… and at the end of all that I will handover the details to get the money back. I know Monzo most likely will never tell me why they are doing this but no harm in trying. I’ve got time and money is not that much that I can’t live without.

2 Likes

Sadly you already got the sack, there is no way to resign. The email you got is equivalent to “we turned off your IT access and revoked your building pass. Please tell us where to send the contents of your locker and desk”

I’d be super wary of attempting a switch because if the other bank catches wind of a closed account (with no notice), they might get a bit sus. If I was the bank, I’d ask why you want to make it seem like your decision, and not Monzo’s

1 Like

Interesting thought … I guess we will have to wait and see…

1 Like

Best of luck, seen plenty of these threads come around. Nothing happens with the ombudsman investigation because Terms allow Monzo to close any account, without having to give a reason.

Enjoy your journey with the complaints against Monzo + be sure to update us in 8 weeks with an update.

2 Likes

Then why post them?

They could be your monthly RSPCA donations or drug money funneled to Syria. Totals don’t show anything either way.

But Monzo want rid. If you’re happy to battle them and risk losing/delaying getting your money back then that’s your call.

Personally, I’d want my money and be shot of them now.

2 Likes

Very ambitious! With the FOS I’d expect it to be more like 8 months (if lucky)

1 Like