Just a second (convincing my dad to stay with Monzo)

Last year i spent time and effort convincing my mum, who is no spring chicken, to take a card abroad instead of the wad of foreign currency she usually carries.
First day at the ATM she managed to lock herself out, had the card retained, got herself in a state, phoned me back at home and i had to run around organising cash and a replacement card. Not an experience i want to repeat.

If your dad is more comfortable using the Post Office it may be best to leave him be.

Except you’ve completely ignored the £200/month margin. So when you say 3% you actually mean 0%.

2 Likes

That sounds like my dad. He’s only in his early sixties, but you’d think he was still living in 1990 the way he behaves at times.

He managed - just about! - to navigate everything unscathed the last time, but he had to have help at the ATM each and every time and I had to repeatedly explain how it worked. I had to explain how the app works in great detail and what is happening. He just about understands why buying currency at an airport is a bad idea, but other than that he isn’t aware of many things.

When I suggested on the first day of his holiday that he would make considerable savings (I’m talking at least a third or more off bus and train fares) by using an almost-free bus card rather than paying cash, his friend called me a “clever ****”.

So, yes. Thanks anyway.

This sounds exactly like my boyfriend’s dad. He will ask for your advice, reject it, and attempt to tell you why your idea is inferior + explain how you should actually do things even if it’s a subject matter he knows little of. He’s stuck with the same bank pretty much all his life even though it is horrible, because he thinks brand loyalty will be rewarded and they are more stable :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Trying to set up Monzo as a payee for him on the HSBC Online Banking site baffled me. I couldn’t do it. I gave up after 30 minutes because he was swearing at me and calling me useless.

On my own bank it took five minutes tops.

Lesson learnt, I guess.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.