Jail broken iPhones

Hi all. I was thinking of jail breaking my phone (I get bored easy and want something new).

What are the risks with having Monzo? Do any of you have a jail broken phone?

Genuine curisotiy here, what do you plan to do with a Jailbroken phone that it can’t already do?

I know that back in the day, it had a lot of perks - But I thought the jailbreak community was almost non existent these days?

2 Likes

I was wondering the same thing too. You can also side load apps on to iOS as well

I jailbroke every iOS possible since day one but since iOS 10 when it got difficult I stopped.

Yes I missed all the apps and tweaks but now Apple have ‘borrowed’ most of the popular ones so no real need.

iOS12 is decent enough.

Jailbreaking essentially runs an exploit on your phone that allows it to gain superuser privileges, and give them to jailbreak “tweaks” installed via Cydia.

It comes down to how much you trust the developer of the initial jailbreak exploit as well as any tweaks you install later on - any of those can take full control of your phone if they wanted to, exfiltrate confidential data, listen in to the microphone, look into the camera, etc.

1 Like

Oh, I know what it can do - I just wondered what people used it for these days.

All the guys I know who used to jailbreak, don’t do it anymore because there’s no real advantage.

Yeah same for me, I don’t really have a need for jailbreaks anymore. The fact that the JB community died and the only remaining exploits are from dubious sources doesn’t help either.

1 Like

I haven’t jailbroken a phone for a few years, so you may be right. Part of me was just curious to see what was new.

I think with apples security getting better, jailbreaking a phone was getting harder and it all started slowing down - at least that’s the impression I got

Nick Slade

1 Like

geohot and the likes all moved on anyway, got jobs with Apple and Google and in the contract might have had no more exploiting etc. athough Saurik still updates Cydia.

It can still be done though just seems to always be tethered also now Apple have added the disable USB feature after an hour in IOS12 I think that might make it even harder to do.

1 Like

The issue is that most of the juicy exploits have been found & patched, and Apple doesn’t really update the kernel and other critical components all that much so the probability of more vulnerabilities being added on is quite low.

There’s also the issue of iOS devices being way more targeted than they used to, so Apple is putting way more effort into security. Back in the early days the worst that could happen with a kernel exploit is a bunch of kids jailbreaking iPhones and pirating apps, but now piracy is the least of their worries - it’s mainly about malicious attackers (possibly state-sponsored) compromising iPhones at scale and that is much more dangerous.

1 Like

Can anyone answer the ops actual questions.

They want know what are the risks of having a jail broken phone and using Monzo.

Does anyone have a jail broken phone.

Seem to have all gone off on a tangent about why people don’t jail break anymore and not answer what was asked.

Does my post above not answer the question?

It comes down to how much you trust the developer of the initial jailbreak exploit as well as any tweaks you install later on - any of those can take full control of your phone if they wanted to, exfiltrate confidential data, listen in to the microphone, look into the camera, etc.

2 Likes

:joy_cat: :upside_down_face: :eyes:

I guess what’s being asked is - does Monzo employ jailbreak checks (checking for presence of Cydia etc) and kill the app like many banks do or do they not check at all? A quick search of the forums suggests they do not currently do this however the response is quite old and there was talk of them introducing jailbreak checks with the potential for accepting a disclaimer if you were running on jailbreak

They don’t do the equivalent on Android so no reason why they would do it on iOS.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.