Is there anywhere in the world you cant use Monzo?

I’ve used it in european countries but im going to costa rica and pananma, I used it in sri lanka fine but will be doing more of south america can it be used everywhere? Also - i didnt dare to rely on it in nepal so does it work there too?

North Korea is a definite no

People have used it in Nepal and all over South America

3 Likes

It works anywhere that Mastercard is accepted! :+1:

8 Likes

If you use the frying pan icon in the top right corner, you can search for threads where people have posted their experiences using Monzo around the world - including in Nepal.

4 Likes

i thought it would be easier to ask where it CAN’T be used as opposed to check each forum for each country I wanted to see if it could be used for.

Admittedly, this Mastercard infographic is from 2013, but at that point it was not usable in six African countries: Eritrea, Mauritania, Sao Tome, Somalia, South Sudan and Sudan.

4 Likes

Google also reveals that, despite promises after the thaw in nuclear political relations in 2015, and indeed despite an ‘official’ announcement in 2016, Iran still operates a closed financial system and Visa and Mastercard cards are not legal.

Thank you jamie

1 Like

I’ve tried randomly Googling obscure countries where politics or sheer lack of infrastructure may play a role in acceptance issues (Bhutan, where television wasn’t legal until the 90s, Cuba with its famous US sanctions, Myanmar, Timor–Leste, Greenland) but these all seem fine. There’s even a Mastercard ATM on Antarctica!

3 Likes

What currency is used in Antarctica? Does it dispense fish to feed the penguins to help us negotiate with them?

3 Likes
4 Likes

Wow that’s crazy! Thanks!

2 Likes

Also acceptance in China is somewhat quite poor - it will work with vast majority of ATMs (100% success rate with Citi, HSBC, BoC, ICBC and China’s Merchant Bank ATMs) but from personal experience - of the very few Chinese terminals that accept MasterCard, none managed to take in Monzo’s card and when I raised it with support it sounded like they cannot see transaction on Monzo’s side so yeah sounds like the transaction is not being even sent to MasterCards’ network… (fyi Halifax Clarity worked just fine so who knows).

Of course that could be mitigated if WeChatPay or AliPay would allow IDing with foreign cards (you can currently add foreign card, however you cannot use them for real-name verification and you can’t use it to pay in person only online or something crazy like that) as those are now bigger than cash in China (kid you not, you can see grandmas selling veggies on the street accepting AliPay but not cash).

1 Like

I shall be testing it in South Korea next month, wish me luck :smiley:

1 Like

There’s a car park in Bishops Stortford.

Although I did report it in app, so it might be fixed.

1 Like

Find global ATMs and select MasterCard first, the machine may buzz while it adjusts, the cards there have the chip in a slightly different place.

1 Like

What? How does that work? How can the chip be in a different place from ISO smart card standards?

I’ve never heard of this before and I won’t lie, I’m definitely sceptical… Do you have any sources for this? I’m really curious.

1 Like

I’m also curious. I tried a Google search for South Korea debit card images, and those appear to have the chips in the usual places.

My friend came back from there last week, initially he found it a right ball ache. They spent ages on CS with monzo before learning they had to use a global ATM. They started in Seoul and also went to jeju for a bit.

I never saw any photos though so I’m not promising anything :confused:

1 Like

Venezuela :roll_eyes: