Is it just me or is the current account underwhelming

My issue is that there are so many kickbacks (see current investigation in moneysupermarkets) that even if Monzo suggested it could save me money, I’d still go and check this out independently so it’s not much of a time-saver. Is Monzo planning to give us a cut? Because otherwise, I’d still do any significant changes myself via sites like topcashback…

1 Like

I’m not sure monzo could reasonably do offers for things like insurance as there’s lots of information that’s not available to them that decides your premiums, like what car you drive and your claim history (and medical history for holiday insurance).

Revolut did similar with a load of different offers, insurance, loans etc until they completely bloated out their app.

I’ve liked Monzo for its simplicity and have been using the CA for a few weeks now which is fine. Although I was surprised with how many people have made it their main account already (while in beta). I’m happy to keep using the account and seeing what the future holds for it, although I’m still waiting to see what fees they will bring for withdrawals abroad.

It’s underwhelming, but works OK at the moment, I’m interested in the future additions.

1 Like

Hi Alex wasn’t the point of the CA preview to get as many people using as their main account to find the bugs and issues? I don’t use it as my account for salary but do use it to pat DD’s and regular bank transfers.

Yes us early adopters have been finding organisations that needed updating to accept the :monzo: Monzo sort code.

1 Like

Yes, the point was to have people to use it to find problems with purchases etc and also for all parts of the banking which I do as much as I feel comfortable with. I’m just surprised so many people jumped on to moving their salaries over to a banking app/card that is still in beta.

1 Like

How else we going to find the bugs? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve never said it’s a bad thing. I’m just surprised with the amount of people moving everything over instantly while their CA has only been out for a short time.

I’m fine with using it day to day with a backup card (as I do), but I do not plan on using it as a main card (at least until it’s out of beta) with my DD’s and salary.

it’s got to be tested by someone :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I’m ‘testing’ the app, and to some extent the processes behind it. I’m not testing whether they’re capable of being a bank… the FSA already did that. I don’t think the chances of losing all my money any higher than any other bank.

7 Likes

I’m not surprised at all. Most of these people will have been using Monzo for some time and most likely have greater faith in the company and the product. They’ve put themselves forward to test the product, and want to play their part in improving it.

The anticipation in this forum has been growing since around this time last year when the CA was expected to be released sometime during Q1-Q2, so I fully understand the enthusiasm to be a part of the CA from its beginnings.

1 Like

I’m user #3424 since March 2016 and quite confident about using the Current Account as my main bank - sooner I get away from First Direct and their overzealous security theatre the better :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Very comfortable switching here

But then I am but a simple dude with a simple life

Maybe if i was paid the big bucks i would just funnel some across but i think i am in the target market or thereabouts

I have to agree, I use the prepaid card all the time, can’t yet think of a reason to use the debit card. Come on guys, tell me how you use the current account.

You’re a person old enough to have a bank account, so yes, you are in the target market. :grin:

3 Likes

What’s the risk? I’m protected by the FSCS, I’ve met some of the team and gauged for myself how knowledgable the engineers are. They don’t do moronic things like ask me for specific digits of a password, or serve the site over HTTP in plaintext. They’ve promised to cover any foreseeable losses too due to mistakes on their part. Honestly at this point I have more confidence in them than my legacy bank.

5 Likes

lol @jzw95

@Geoffnut the only difference between the two is salary in, dd and so out. Card works the same. Can’t go overdrawn, no charges if anything bounces.

How does one know or find their user number?

on i phone - on both current accounts and pre paid - ‘card’ - tap on your user name and your number should be there - no idea about funny phones - I would assume something very similar :slight_smile: - user 440 by the way, though different joining dates from pre paid to current :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In ‘funny’ :roll_eyes: phones you can find this at settings page right at the bottom.

5 Likes