Investor Card Refresh?

Because some merchants in certain countries still look at it, even though there is no reason to. :woman_shrugging:

For example, I would minimally sign the card with something before travelling to the US.

Making the panel smaller was significantly easier to justify at this point in time than removing it totally.

5 Likes

Is this also the reason for keeping the embossed number?

Do you think you’ll be able to remove that as other banks have done at some point soon?

1 Like

Yes, embossing is still somewhat important to truly worldwide acceptance. We’re trying out some things there though. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Do what the Americans do… “CHECK ID” in the box… (handy if you have a driving licence/passport on you" :wink:

1 Like

If the signature panel is going completely in a future design, and MasterCard themselves have made it an invalid method of verification, how does the swipe + sign method work? Do they still have to compare your signature with some other document?

So Metal cards don’t have any expiry on them? Why do plastic ones then?!

No, I was talking about what Apple presented with their Apple card. I believe is the only card (metal included) without expiration date or card number on the card.

1 Like

But it’s in the app as far as I know - so presumably the card issuance does actually have an expiry. Who knows - sure we’ll find out more when it launches.

It becomes just swipe with no signature.

Just about everywhere in California that didn’t take chip/contactless just swiped and pressed “ok” without checking anything when I visited late last year.

Yes, we won’t know until it launches but that is what I got from their press release. It is also a credit card so backend might be fundamentally different from a debit card.
“Apple has also designed a titanium Apple Card for shopping at locations where Apple Pay is not accepted yet. With no card number, CVV security code, expiration date or signature on the card, Apple Card is more secure than any other physical credit card. All this information is easily accessible in Wallet to use in apps and on websites. For purchases made with the titanium Apple Card, customers will get 1 percent Daily Cash.”

3 Likes

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah my understanding is that the physical card will not have an expiry date (at all rather than just not printed).

1 Like

Sorry - I think we’re talking about different things.

Whilst the physical card won’t have any information on it, the card will still have a CVV and expiry date etc, it’ll just be in the app - presumably?

Not sure how they could do away with an expiry date though? Don’t all online transactions require an expiry date for verification?

My understanding was that the number, expiration date and CVV will be in the wallet app and they will change just digitally without the need of getting a new card?
But again, maybe it’s just not physically possible and I just misunderstood the whole concept of it. :joy:

2 Likes

Could be! Not sure. Apple have got the $ to do pretty much anything so I’m sure it’ll be cool.

1 Like

My understanding was that you use Apple Pay on your iOS device wherever possible including the web. The physical card is purely for transactions in physical locations that don’t yet accept contactless.

If a website doesn’t support Apple Pay you’re out of luck.

I may be wrong though.

There should be a PAN and CVC2 in the Wallet app to use on the web where Apple Pay is not supported. If I recall correctly, you can regenerate it at any time. :eyes:

5 Likes

Yep this was my understanding as well :blush:

And the virtual card number etc there will differ from the card number etc contained in the physical card (which you will never know the card number of).

Would it be logistically possible to have that on a debit card though? I wonder if with DD and subscriptions that solution would be not feasible.