Introducing the new Monzo Plus

The card yes, the features, no.

Not according to the T&Cs

Well you can keep the card… Whether it works or not…

2 Likes

Oh god I’m 41 last week :grimacing: not a young in to it thing to them I’m an old has been :grimacing: certainly monzo is for me I hate dinosaur stuff that takes forever to access or do things with

I’ve just had confirmation that Monzo don’t have any plans to get rid of their old Plus plans at the moment, but if they do they’ll give us at least 60 days notice. Fabulous! Not sure why they didn’t answer our questions earlier on this thread and just state that…

5 Likes

However, in case you’re ever curious, Monzo’s UI can handle all the zeros. You can thank @thomas for the proof.

4 Likes

Presumably because the people with the answers weren’t reading the thread. (The simplest explanation quite often applies.)

1 Like

So I signed up pretty much right away today, thought I’d give some feedback:

• all looks great in app
  • really hoping that the discounts change and grow over time and we get to see the Gourmet Society discounts at somepoint ( totally get why that’s not viable right now, as we are about to have most of that functionality for a month from the gov, but afterwards this sort of functionality would really make the £5 a month worth it for me long term)
  • I’m begging you to please add virgin money credit cards, please, thanks. PLEASE.
  • the card is shiny. I’m sold.
  • more than one free cash deposit would be great, but one is better than none so I’ll take it.
  • seen it mentioned above but paying my membership from a bills pot is something I’d expect to be able to do.
  • adoring being about to split transactions into several categories, my gin no longer hits my grocery budgets - I can eat … and get shamed by my gin spends.

Overall though, it’s a really slick product and a affordable price - happy to support Monzo into being profitable and sustainable with a few Benefits personally :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Tap the pencil icon under your post and you can edit it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does anyone else think the minimum 3 month new plus account could tie in to the release of a premium plus account, thereby allowing a switch?

1 Like

A thousand comments later… thanks for posting that here!

But hopefully with not having to change your card number again.

1 Like

If a metal premium comes maybe but await what may happen

1 Like

Personally, I think this is so much better than before! You can see there’s a lot of work that’s gone into this, and it’s a great base for even more to be added in the future.

The offers could do with a few more being added, but again, there’s plenty of time and room to build on it :grin:

All in all, I love it and I think the whole team at Monzo have done a great job and should be proud! :+1:t2:

4 Likes

Am I right in thinking (as an existing Plus member) you have until the 16th September to get the two months free?

And if you do switch to the new Plus, you can’t revert back to the original one?

Once you come off what’s discontinued you can’t go back on as it’s only existing customers on it

1 Like

Kinda, and no.

You have till the 16th to get the offer, but it might be removed at any point in time, and there is no way to revert back to the original.

There is still an unanswered question about whether the “old one” is going to be sticking around longer term at all or not.

1 Like

I wasn’t around when Monzo Plus was here the last time so I can’t really comment on how that went but I wanted to share my quick thoughts on this iteration of the plus scheme from Monzo. I have signed up this evening (the below is just my personal opinon)

Signing Up

I thought signing up to Monzo was a beautiful experiance, it was super simple and laid out really well, all of the information that I needed to know was clearly displayed.

The celebratory animation when sign up was complete was a nice touch too.

Open Banking

Being able to have my HSBC account inside Monzo is amazing, I didn’t know that this was even possible until today but getting that setup was also a breeze, I already had the HSBC app installed on my device, it automatically opened up the HSBC app and took me to the correct screens - all in all took about 5 minutes (including reading)

Virtual Cards

Virtual Cards are a great idea and something really welcome, not had a chance to play with them yet but I will most certainly be creating one for shopping online.

Custom Categories

Having been a YNAB user for about 10 years now having custom categories is going to be a great help and maybe even assist with moving from YNAB entirely.

Split Transactions

Being able to split a single transaction was one of the main things stopping me going full monzo when I origionally joined, being able to do my grocery shopping and buy a present for a friend and splitting them over two seperate categories is going to be a really amazing addition for me.

Lots and lots of work has clearly gone into this and I haven’t even scratched the surface on investigating how any of this is going to work for me long term but from the shop window and first impressions…really amazing job, well done team!

5 Likes

I understand why there isn’t, but I’d have liked a Monzo Plus-Lite with just the category features, maybe budgeting. That would be something I’d pay an annual cost (~£30 maybe?).

I can understand why Monzo might want to cancel the Plus card if you cancel your subscription but I can’t help but think about the environmental impact. I think they should charge you a one-off fee and let you keep the card. That way it would be a sufficient deterrent to signing up and cancelling within the cooling-off period just for a shiny card, but it would also generate less plastic waste

Also - £5 fee for a replacement card? Interesting :thinking: