Introducing Monzo Flex – a better way to pay later 🚀

No doesn’t show offers in Flex, just at the top of my account feed

If you try and Flex something you’ve already bought, is the offer option there?

1 Like

just checked mine and its upped to £6000 now

1 Like

Not sure if it is new, or I just never noticed, it seems that Flex under manage tab has statements now.

They are leaving a lot to be desired.

There is no account number or reference, ie. at least the same one as used in credit reference agencies would be nice.

All transactions are completely anonymous. The actual purchase remains on the main account statement.

Not sure if I like or not, that statement does not disclose if something was bought on the debit vs credit card.

I really like NatWest BNPL statements instead.

1 Like

I guess this is part of the, we’re moving Flex to be it’s own standalone account along with the community requests for statements.

You’re right though I’ve just looked, and it’s just garbage. Really doesn’t mean much at all, I’d sooner have no statement if that’s what it’s going to detail. It needs a lot of work doing to it.

2 Likes

Given how bad Flex statement is, here is how NatWest BNPL statement looks like

First page is header only like a credit card:

Second page is transaction log (purchases, repayments) like a regular credit card. Followed by individual repayment plan progress (aka think flex feed progress bars)

December:

November:

Super clear what was purchased when, and what is being repayed at any given time.

I guess NatWest here wins, because they already offered repayment plans on their regular credit card for a long time - sort of like promotional interest rates which other companies sort of silently activated calculated and at best had a summary table as to which amount of credit card balance is under which interest rate.

3 Likes

That’s exactly how I’d expect a statement to function, especially around this kind of product.

1 Like

I flexed an ebay purchase and have this odd text on the transaction details that “ebay requested £39.98”.

What does that mean?

The transaction amount was £85.50, and the installment amounts are all correct.

1 Like

This means eBay have requested additional funds

If the payment was for £85.50, this means eBay requested the payment in two parts - first for £45.52, and then a second amount of £39.98

My guess is that your eBay purchase had items from two sellers (for the amounts above), which eBay then take in two separate payments (but linked to the same instalment plan)

6 Likes

Good shout, yes it was one ebay order from two different sellers.

The way only one amount is dislplayed as “ebay requested” is very confusing. It should either display the breakdown with all the amounts, or nothing at all.

4 Likes

No breakdown at all makes the most sense to me, if you’re paying for things on eBay, you’re not really interested in a breakdown of what eBay send through for payment. It’s the overall total you just need to see.

2 Likes

We’ve had some in depth discussions around this :sweat_smile: without getting into the complexity of payment flows, this would improve things in some cases (this being a great example) but in other cases it makes it more confusing.

We’ve tried to find a balance which works for the vast majority of purchases (and we have lots of edge cases which we also handle) but there’s always more we can do to improve it - I’ll make sure to pass your feedback on!

This is a quirk of the way eBay process payments when you’re making purchases from multiple sellers, and in many cases hiding this quirk makes it less clear - this is one of the cases where it isn’t as helpful as it could be :+1:

9 Likes

Personally I’d argue it’s clear enough hiding it, to the end user I don’t care how eBay put the transaction through, if I order 10 items from different providers then the overall total is the only thing I’m interested in, not a breakdown of each payment. But then again I suppose if you want to then dispute a payment, it’s easier to highlight an individual transaction to flag it, instead of having to go into a bulk payment.

3 Likes

And at no point did you think to yourself, “Have I just bought anything for £39.98 on eBay?”?

2 Likes

Nope. I “added to basket” a couple of things from two different sellers, and then saw and paid for it as one order and one payment. My experience was more like a single shop or Amazon, so I didn’t really have the individual item prices in my head, but rather the total price paid.

7 Likes

Was just reading some Flex help guides, because what else is there to do as this time of a morning :eyes:

When clicking the link within this article it jumps out of the app into my browser. I’d expect clicking on a help link within a help article to keep me in the app.

do we know when the flex physical card will be available for all customers?

We don’t

1 Like

Is it something we know is happening or just speculation at this point?

1 Like

I think some strings were found in an app teardown that gave away that it’s at least being staff-tested.

2 Likes