Introducing Monzo Flex – a better way to pay later 🚀

I think it used to show presentments from the merchant as I had one recently but it no longer does.

For sure it does internally, which would be helpful from user end to understand why the balance changed, but then this also used to send customers wild not knowing what went on :joy:

(first post for me, got to start somewhere).

I think this highlights how different people visualise (mental picture) their different balances. I have always treated CC spends balance as a debt that needs to be paid, but seen it as a postive number working down to zero. Mainly because it is physically seperated from my current account. If I merged all my accounts together, I may well show a negative balance.

An overdraft, however, I have seen as a negative extension of my current account. If I am using my overdraft the balance is shown as (and for me visualised) as a negative number. If my balance is a positive, I’m not using the overdraft, though it is still available to me.

For @Revels practical example, yes you are -£400 but you have funds still available to spend, so you could visualise that as a postive balance. But overall it is still an owed debt. Zero balance is not no more credit available, but no debt and no spends.

I think it would be better, for the point @coffeemadman is making, to think of the Flex balance like an overdraft (just minus the charges etc.), so until is paid it a negative balance (Flex does dispaly as negative in its tab/card, its just not merged to the main account like an overdraft)

Hope that makes sense

5 Likes

Does the total spent in Flex take much time to update normally? It is saying that I am at -£475 at the moment, but this should be -£1000. The “available to use” is right.

Should be instant once you’ve picked a plan.

DOH! Thank you. I didn’t realise I hadn’t chosen the plan. My bad haha

3 Likes

Hi folks,

No new features to announce today… we don’t want to spoil you all! But instead I come asking for a favour :pray:

Flex is in the running for ‘Innovation of the Year’ at the British Bank Awards :trophy:

It’s been an exciting year of listening to feedback and growing Flex by launching lots of new features, and we plan to continue doing the same in 2023.

As regular contributors to this thread you’ve been with us on the journey, helping to shape new features through giving us regular feedback.

The award is judged based on reviews from customers, so we’re asking you to take a few minutes to leave us a review.

The winners are announced on 11 May, and we’ll let you know how we get on :crossed_fingers:

Thank you :rocket:

P.s. We’re in the running for Best Current Account Provider, Best Business Bank Account Provider and Best Loans Provider too

21 Likes

Would love to be able to set where each flex gets paid from rather than just selecting one pot for all.of the flex payments.

Just wanted to share that I had a positive S75 claim experience this week with the Monzo support team!

From what I hear, not as easy as others have had from AMEX (full refunds instantly) with the same company in dispute, but much better than others such as PayPal credit (not doing them at all!)

I let the British Bank Awards know @TomMills :laughing: good timing!

10 Likes

Not sure if I’ve ever had a positive experience with Monzo “Support”

Not sure anyone can beat Amex support, always exceptional whenever I have to deal with them.

2 Likes

How long should it take for transactions to move into the “Paid Off” section? Some transactions seem to have moved there but others haven’t.

1 Like

Next day if memory serves.

1 Like

They were hopeless yesterday when I had issues changing the bank details for my direct debit. I couldn’t get him to understand what it was I wanted doing.

1 Like

Is there a way to default all instalments to be paid in full every time I spend money on Flex or do I have to choose what instalment I want every time I spend?

3 Likes

Currently the latter.

3 Likes

@avb or @TomMills This happened when I just opened my app and not sure if it’s intentional or not.

The “flex it” bit flashed a couple of times but the overlay looks messy, as if something isn’t working properly? Or is this intended behaviour?

1 Like

Releasing what?

1 Like

In feed ads to flex stuff. Can’t remember if it was aimed at people who already have flex to get them to use it more, or aimed at people who don’t have it to get them to sign up. There was discourse on it a while back, but busy thread.

2 Likes

Oh, I thought that’s been released and wasn’t just a test. I hope it’s for people who don’t have it. If I start getting adverts for Flex when I have it I’ll close it.

Also unsure how healthy it is to encourage people to use credit to cover £30 transactions.

4 Likes

I don’t mind seeing it a couple of times but the fact that it flash’s up every time I open the app at the moment is annoying as I do feel like it is encouraging me to flex when I don’t need to.

Update: in “day mode” the little label that flashes up looks tidy. I think I’m “night mode” the colour doesn’t match the background which is why it looks more messy.

3 Likes

So you have Flex and it still shows up? Do you have “lending promotions” turned on?