✅ Integration with Amex

Here’s the mega guide then!

You’ll need a couple of prerequisites:

• an iPhone
  • the Shortcuts app (formerly Workflow) made by Apple from the App Store
  • an IFTTT account and the IFTTT app installed

That’s pretty much us good to go.

First, fire up the the IFTTT app. Tap “My Applets” in the bottom right and the plus in the top right to add a new activity.

IMG_2792

You want to set “this” to Webhooks. If you’ve not set up Webhooks it’ll guide you through the process. Make sure you take note of the key that it gives you - we’re going to need that later. You can always access it again by selecting Webhooks & Documentation in your list of Services in My Applets as below:

IMG_2793

So once you have Webhooks set up we are setting “this” to Webhooks. Then pick Receive a Web Request. We’re going to be sending an HTTP request into IFTTT to trigger our pot move. On the next page, give your event a name. This will be in the URL you use so note it down. I’ve gone for “amex_monzo”.

IMG_2806

You’ll then be taken back to the Applet creator screen. We’re setting “that” to Monzo. If you’re adding the Monzo service then you’ll be guided through linking your Monzo account with IFTTT and returned to the screen. You need to pick the option to “Move money into a pot”.

On the next screen you can choose the pot you want to go into it and there’s an option for the amount to move. Since we don’t know the amount we’re going to move, we need to insert a variable there so that we can pass the amount through with our request. To do that, press the “Add Ingredient” button and choose “Value1”.

IMG_2796

Confirm onward from here and you’ll be presented with your new Applet. You can give it a fancy name if you want, and now we’re ready to play with Shortcuts.

Crack open the shortcuts app and add a new shortcut. The first thing you need to add is a text box. Search for “text” and add it in.

IMG_2797

In the box that appears, add your key from earlier. Then add a “Set Variable” and name it “key”. Next, add “Ask For Input” and give it a fancy question (i.e. How much do I need to move?) and set the input type to Number. So far you should be looking at this:

IMG_2798

Add a “Set Variable” below the Input and set that to “varFigure”. Next, add a “URL”. This needs to be set to the following: “https://maker.ifttt.com/trigger/YOUR-TRIGGER-NAME/with/key/key” where YOUR-TRIGGER-NAME is the name from the IFTTT Webhook. Mine was “amex_monzo”. Also, the latter “key” needs to be the variable we set earlier in the Shortcut. Choose that from the keyboard like below:

IMG_2799

Once you’ve selected it you’ll see the variable as part of the URL:

IMG_2800

Then add a “Get Contents of URL” and press the advanced button. Set “Method” to POST and dropdown “Headers”. Request Body needs to be JSON. Then Add New Field. The type is Number. The left column needs to be “value1” and the right set to the variable “varFigure” from the top of the keyboard like before. It should be looking like this:

IMG_2801

Finally, add a “Show Result”. In there I’ve added the variable and a line confirming that it’s done. This will show when everthing is hunky dory.

IMG_2802

In the settings of the Shortcut you can add to your widgets or you can just run away from the shortcuts app.

And then everything should work like the screenshots below!

IMG_2803

IMG_2804
And a quick check in Monzo to confirm…
IMG_2805

Let me know if there’s anything I’ve missed or you’re struggling with. I’ve not really written guides before so I could’ve missed a bit.

29 Likes