I'm leaving Monzo - Why and what I've learned in almost 4 years here ❤

Sad to see you go but some exciting new challenges ahead! Wishing you all the best :blush:

Found this little gem from the last social we had, including the one and only @nexusmaniac!

5 Likes

Simon,

In ways that I can’t count and couldn’t possibly explain, you are Monzo - and this community - personified. Your commitment to to giving us insight, to dialogue, to being open to criticism and to explaining the rationale to what were otherwise difficult messages has been nothing less than exemplary. And more than that, you genuinely seem to love being here - whether that’s about talking about Monzo, Prince or the latest smartphone.

Sphere is very lucky to have you - and I’ll be watching eagerly to see what happens next.

There are still some great Monzonauts on here. People who understand the power of community and how it can work best. Yet we’ll still be diminished by your departure. But as you say, there are times for all things to end. Monzo moves on - and so do you. And I’m excited to see how things develop for you. (Spoiler: you’ll be amazing).

But finally - and perhaps most importantly - a personal thank you. For listening when I was new on here and having a bad time. To helping me find me feet as Coral Crew. And for always being there with the right words at the right time.

Thank you. :purple_heart:

31 Likes

The end of an era for Monzo, but a great new chapter for you. I look forward to seeing what you can produce when given free reign with a Community. I suspect it will be great!

As one of the few Monzonauts that most of us will have ever met, you have very much been one of the public faces of Monzo and there will need to be some adjustment on their side now you’re going.

Speaking personally, I well remember the first time you walked into that small conference room just after you’d all moved into Finsbury Square. I hard a hard time reconciling the colourful character in front of me with what seemed to me to be a more straight-laced forum photo :joy:

It’s been good knowing you these last few years and I hope you’ll remember this place (and some of us!) fondly in later life as part of something you helped to shape back in it’s early days.

Best of luck for the future.

23 Likes

immediately downloads sphere

Sad to hear the news of your departure. The Community here has been one of my favourite parts of being a Monzo customer, and I’ve always admired the way yourself and a few other key people advocate for things the customer base care about.

Thanks for being here for us :slight_smile: I take it Bed Time Stories with Simon won’t be part of Plus any time soon.

All the best in the new world :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Very sorry to see you go, @SimonB, but glad you’ve found such an exciting role. I’ll just have to hassle @Naji instead now!

Keep in touch…I’m sure we’ll meet again…

Will

2 Likes

Oh wow. Reading that almost brought me to tears. You have been such a positive force for good in the Monzo community Simon. I’m so thankful for everything you’ve done around here and the high level of engagement you kept up.

I’m happy for you and what lies ahead in your next adventure, but also… :cry::cry::cry::cry:. I’m gonna miss you being an integral part of the community.

Good luck with everything, and stick around here! You’ve got lots left to contribute :blush:

5 Likes

Damm this one really hits hard.

Best of luck in the new role and the many lovely things you mentioned that are to come for you.

Youre wete one of the main reasons i go to the forum on a daily basis and cant put into words how much im thankful for you trying your best to push the community at every chance you could!!

PS. Funnily enough we did a work quiz today and one of the questions was who was the original writer for the song “Nothing compares to you”. Immediately i thought boom Sinead O’Conner, but no turns out it was prince and i straight away associated it with yourself.

Very fitting right now, big shoes that will really struggle to be filled

3 Likes

Sorry to see you go, you’ve always been a constant on this forum - name dropped in to settle questions before conversations got out of hand. I hope someone is able to take that mantle from you in the future

Good luck with everything!

3 Likes

Sad to see you leave Monzo Simon, I hope your next community is as successful as this one.

2 Likes

One doddery old pensioner in Crewe is very sorry to see you go, but sends you every good wish for that most successful future you deserve.

4 Likes

Good luck for the future Simon, as many have said this forum will not be the same without you, all the best. :+1:

2 Likes

Simon, all the best and thanks for all the honest and transparent posts on here. You’ll be missed!

Good luck with the future and I’m sure you’d knock it out of the park :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good luck @simonb. You’ve been a rock to this community and Monzo. You will be missed!!!

1 Like

Ahhh, Simon. I’m so very excited for you. There’s something incredibly special about startups at the early stage that is exciting, full of hope and, dare I say, intoxicating? Thank you for all the work you’ve done with Monzo, the community and the Vegas office; I’ve found you to be an inspiration and have always enjoyed your candour and transparency.

1 Like

All the best Simon. You’ll be missed for sure :purple_heart:

1 Like

All the best at your new place Simon - the community will miss you! :blush:

1 Like

Good luck with your next adventure @simonb you have been invaluable to the community. :tada: It won’t be the same without you.

1 Like

Sad news for sure, your presence will truly be missed, both on here and I’m sure within monzo too.

The way you have engaged with us on here has been something to be greatly admired, from the little teases of features, weighing in with your personal opinions, and when appropriate being firm about an unpopular but necessary move. You know when and how to fan the flames of excitement and anticipation, but also know when and how to quench those that are getting a little too wild and heated.

The community here is great but it will be a little lesser without you.

I wish you all the best in your new adventure, change can be scary but scary is good. You will be fantastic.

I’ve already downloaded Sphere because of your announcement and look forward to seeing what comes down the line.

I’ll stop rambling now.

Good luck.

4 Likes

Thank you @simonb, all the best for the future!

1 Like

Sad to see you go @simonb, you’ve definitely been the heart of the community (something I’m sure a lot of people would agree with).

Best of wishes for the future!

Hope to see you around :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes