I’ve been scammed

Last Sunday 19th March I was the victim of what Action Fraud UK described as a sophisticated scam.
I’m 70+ live of DWP payments have no family and no savings.
They emptied my account.
I reported incident on same day to Action Fraud UK and Monzo.
All Monzo has done is freeze my card and request ed a new one.
All the time the money is not returned to my account I’m missing standing orders and direct debits and you will be amazed how hard it is letting these know they may not get this months payment.
SO DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW LONG IT TAKES MONZO TO COMPLETE A FRAUDULENT 9CLAIM AND PUT MONEY BACK INTO THE ACCOUNT?

1 Like

I’m afraid I don’t know how long Monzo will take to investigate – I don’t think there is a maximum timeframe they have to adhere to. You could raise a complaint and that would give them 8 weeks to respond to the complaint – though hopefully an investigation would conclude much sooner.

Without knowing details of the scam, there’s no advice or information we can give but sounds like you’ve done the right thing. I know it doesn’t help but for future it’s worth having money in multiple accounts for backup in case something bad happens.

1 Like

Hi John,

Really sorry to hear about this, being a community forum we don’t really know the answer to the duration, it can vary case to case as well.

If you haven’t already, your best bet would be contact them through the app for an update, you can do this by following the below:

1. Tap the Help icon in the menu bar of your app
  2. Search ‘Reporting fraud’
  3. Tap Get in touch at the bottom of the article

Hope you get things sorted as soon as possible!

3 Likes

Sorry to hear what’s happened.

Action fraud can have one opinion, Monzo may have another.

If you’ve willingly sent the money or given your card details away you may not get your money back, just to set that expectation.

Hopefully monzo get back to you soon to let you know the findings of their investigation and let you know what’s to happen next, if anything.

6 Likes

From my experience you’ll be lucky to get your money back, horrible experience with monzo, they will make you liable for it. Stick to a proper bank.

How do these first posts get approved @AlanDoe?

It did take Monzo a while to ‘investigate’ the fraudulent emptying of my account but all the while they kept me informed and eventually refunded all the stolen money. Plus, a long clear explanation and some compensation.
My preference for the handling of this episode would have been for almost instant refunding, but in fairness of all I’ve read and heard other banks are the same or worse.
I’m sorry that you or anyone who has experienced electronic theft and has felt invaded and unsupported should have been made angry and despairing.
I’ll admit it felt as if I had been doubly robbed, once by the criminals and then by the bank.
The only thief here were the perpetrators!

9 Likes

He must still be watching Hamilton. It’s a really long show.

Thanks for coming back to share how that experience ended for you. No one ever does that. I’m glad it all worked out for you in the end and you got your money back.

4 Likes