Huge switching bribe from Clydesdale/Yorkshire Bank/B

Says Moneyfacts. There is a little logo below the balloon things.

I’ve signed up to this and finally used my old Natwest student account as the switching account to finally close that one and get £250. Plan to close this B one as soon as I get paid £250.

1 Like

Yep, I’ve switched purely for the £250. £100 was not enough to make me switch but this is. And en I’ll switch again after they’ve paid me.

2 Likes

I thought about it but then decided J just didn’t want the hastle

The bank must be so desperate in having to provide such a large incentive to switch

Why not just provide good old fashion reliable banking with some excellent ratings

2 Likes

£250 is decent money, but I’m with first direct and switching to an unknown quantity would be suicide I think. I’ve not used the modern day switching but I just can’t be done with the hassle if it all goes south.

For me, reliability and customer service are keys and first direct has all that.

Switching to Monzo might be a bit easier if they get cashback and save the change. That’ll do me just fine, I’ll swap them without any cash incentive!!

1 Like

I’m with FD. For another few days. :neutral_face:

I admire your bravery for £250!!

No hassle banking and everything FD offer, is worth more than £250 to me. Don’t get me wrong, £250 would be very nice, but I just couldn’t bear the hassle.

Good luck, I hope it all goes well.

1 Like
  1. Open B Account. Completed.
  2. Switch a old and dormant account. In progress, but in all purposes completed my end.
  3. Switch over 2 easy direct debits (Tesco Bank and MBNA does this within seconds). Completed my end.
  4. Set up a standing order up for the day after the current account switch date to pay in £1,000 from my savings. Completed.
  5. Set up a standing order removing £900 the day after the day after the current account switch date (I’ll leave £100 for the direct debits). Completed.
  6. Set up a second standing order for £1,000 of savings for 32 days after the first deposit. Completed.
  7. Set up a standing order removing £900 the day after the day after the 32 day wait (I’ll leave £100 for the direct debits). Completed.
  8. Wait until the £250 is paid in 62 days after current account switch.
  9. Switch the account and balance to Monzo using the current account switching service.

As you can see I’m already awaiting step 8 right now. I’m not switching my main account. Just an old dormant former student account I never closed because I didn’t want the hassle of visiting a Natwest branch.

11 Likes

You are a switching Legend :muscle:

3 Likes

@Chapuys

I have used your inspirational To Do List to complete my 1-7 now as well, although I created scheduled Faster Payments instead of Standing Orders as not sure how they would work with one-off payments.

:crossed_fingers: all goes smoothly now or hefty overdraft fees :wink:

:clap::beer:

1 Like

I signed up for Clydesdale Bank when I was 16 and have never switched. I will be switching to Monzo when it is available to me, which will be one account switch in 19 years!

I think I’ll let them keep the money and wait to switch to Monzo, as I’m obviously not the best at it!

I am also in the process of switching, but have held off on switching over the direct debits from other separate accounts because of the following point in the terms and conditions (https://www.youandb.co.uk/resources/e6ff10a6-1b40-4e44-82bb-c58130a1a538/149904_250_Cashback_DU250TCS.pdf)

The point I’ve highlighted in the red box seeming to suggest that the direct debits must set up after the switch date if they aren’t being transferred as part of the switch?

1 Like

Well spotted! I hadn’t delved that far deep.

My latest email from the bank was this flyer today. Reading it at first, I just assumed it means the 2 debits from the direct debits need to be taken in the 62 days. But if you re-read it from your comment, it now reads they need to be set up and taken in the 62 days. I shall see when the direct debits I changed become active then cancel/restart them just to be sure.

The direct debits can transferred as part of the switch

You don’t need to set up two DDMs, just for at least two to be active.

I’ve been thinking about this point.

I have one DD on my Halifax account (which I would switch). So if I switched, and then manually changed the details of another direct debit from a different account, would I still qualify?

I assume so as it says it can be set up in the following 62 days, so that much mean the mandate just has to arrive with them, it doesn’t matter who from?

That’s how I read it - if you’re transferring one, then set up the other after the switch you’ll have the two Direct Debits which meet the criteria? I know no more than you whether that’s right, but it’s what I would assume…

But if you had none set up on your old account which you are switching over you would need to set them up, and the T&Cs it would seem to suggest that they need to be set up after the switch is complete and not before to qualify?

Am I the only one to have read the T&Cs in the documents above?

I have… why do you ask?

weirdo, no one reads T&Cs (except James)

1 Like

Because you said

And I’ve already told you that the T&Cs say