How to close community account

Hi

Anyone know how to close my account on the community? Can only find Log Out buttons - but not a way to delete the account.

Speak to Monzo via the in-app support chat and they’ll be able to sort you out.

Edit: Ignore me. I thought you meant your bank account. I have problems.

I think you can’t delete but can be anonymised (is that a word?).

Pm @cookywook for more info.

I don’t understand why anyone would want to delete their community account. Is it just me?

2 Likes

Exactly. Just don’t log in again :man_shrugging:

Unless the OP is misunderstanding GDPR.

Does there need to be a reason?

What do you think I don’t understand? Is GDPR relevant? Or even mentioned? I’d just like to close my account. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

There’s a reason for everything. I just can’t fathom what it would be.

GDPR is all about personal data and this is what you want removing?

Just curious that’s all because as I mentioned, I’d just not log in instead of going to all this hassle. Not that there is anything wrong with you wanting your account removed :slight_smile:

Maybe the reason is all the condescending BS. I was just after guidance on how to deactivate my account - not for an appraisal of whether it’s necessary or a discussion about what my motives might be. :joy:

Thanks! I did message him yesterday actually - but it hasn’t been seen by him yet so maybe he’s not around. I’m sure he’ll get back to me when he can :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Don’t worry I’m sure he will get back to you soon :slight_smile:

He is forever being tagged and pm’d about stuff so I hate to think how many notifications he has to go through each time he logs in :grimacing:

Leaving dormant accounts lying around is never a good thing. How many people have had personal information including e-mail addresses, etc stolen from breaches for companies they’ve had years ago and never use anymore?

Looking at an old e-mail addresses on haveibeenpwned.com now I can see that the e-mail address appears in breaches from:

• Adobe
  • Bitcoin Forum
  • bit.ly
  • BitTorrent Forum
  • Dropbox
  • last.fm
  • MyFitnessPal
  • MySpace

I don’t use any of these anymore, had I deleted the accounts, chances are the address wouldn’t have appeared in those breaches.

5 Likes

You could use in app chat I guess, I don’t see why not

or say a few things you shouldn’t and get permabanned :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

In Discourse (the software that this forum uses), you can only delete an account if it has 1 or 0 posts. It can be deactivated but not completely deleted. You can have posts anonymised from what I remember (I was an admin on a project last year which used Discourse).

The forum is seperate to the bank account so that won’t work

Yeah but they’d pass it on to simonb or cookywok or someone else, and since it’s data held by Monzo they’d have to honour a request to delete from in app chat

I’m posting it on slack in case someone else can do it before Richard is back in the office

1 Like

This is inaccurate.

An account can be anonymised or deleted. The forum maintainer may want to opt for only anonymising accounts as it preserves the context of existing threads you may have posted in. However you can also have your account deleted completely.

Anonymising is usually fine as it removed all identifying information from the account and only leave the content of your actually posts in place.

You can also have your account completely deleted. There is one caveat with this, discourse can be a bit funny attempting to delete users with thousands upon thousands of posts and can struggle a bit (this was a few versions ago and it may have improved) but for the majority of people accounts can be deleted without issue.

The question is what monzos policy is on it. There is no real reason they couldn’t delete your account entirely.

Anonymising would work in this case as it strips all account details from the account you want rid of.

Hi @anon84687262, I’ll drop a reply to your DM. Sorry for not responding sooner.

3 Likes

I didn’t say it wouldn’t, @tbutz said what would be the reason, I was simply providing one.

1 Like