How to close community account

I stand corrected :roll_eyes: :crazy_face:

Not sure about the posts issue, my understanding (could be inaccurate) is that you do need to delete all the posts (see here).

"If the user requests, the admin can use the user info panel to delete all of a user’s posts. Note you may need to up the “delete user max post age” and “delete all posts max” settings but then it’s possible. Once there are no more posts you can then delete the user.

Alternatively, a less disruptive solution is the “Anonymize User” button which leaves the posts but changes the username and everything else about the user so they are no longer identifiable, although recorded IP addresses still linger (?) so that may be an issue (see below).

Be sure to uncheck Settings > Legal > “log anonymizer details” (“Whether to keep a user’s details in the log after being anonymized. When complying to GDPR you’ll need to turn this off.”)!

The user has a “Delete My Account” button on their own info screen, but I believe only if they have a small number of posts."

Yeah to remove the account completely all posts would need to be deleted, which depends on the forum settings. Im unsure if they’ve fixed the bugs for long standing accounts with large numbers of posts.

To give a similar answer. Forum posts are not really written documents which you would keep, for the most part they are very similar to what you might say in a in person conversation. those conversations are transient. The obvious problem is forum posts are not. It would be very acceptable for someone to want their forum posts deleted if they were done with an account because they are essentially meant to be transient conversations that just happen to be recorded.

1 Like

Anyone have the steps to change user name / anonymise account? Googling my name now comes up with my community contributions and i’d like to change that. Thanks

2 Likes

If you DM @cookywook he can change it for you

2 Likes

One reason might be that you can’t change your username and somehow mine is my name.

It’s your name because that’s the name you chose when you joined.

@Aleksjames if you send me a DM I can look into changing your username if you want?

Yes, when one uses the term ‘somehow’, he is acknowledging all and any possibilities.