I always enjoy moving house! I find it exciting, other than the costs.
Finding a place depends where you are. SpareRoom, Rightmove, MoveFlat are the usual websites I’d recommend.
For moving there are loads of tips but…
- order boxes a week or two in advance. Start packing maybe a week in advance. Too far earlier and they’re just in the way. Too close to the day and you’ll find it stressful. Leave all the stuff you’ll need until the very last, so clothes and toiletries. you can throw them into bags or boxes at the very end
- right now start making a list of everything you get mail for which you’ll need to update. Tesco club card, all your bank accounts, magazine subscriptions etc, then when it’s close to moving day you can do them all at once
- Try to hire a man & van, or friends/family to help on the day, and make sure whoever it is is ready & willing to move boxes from van into your new room
- If it’s a room rather than a whole flat, make sure you know if bills are included, or what they should be, including the internet and you get the wifi code asap!
- As soon as you get there, take pics of the place, and note down any issues - stains on the carpet, marks on the walls, no matter how small. You don’t want them holding these against you when you leave and removing it from your deposit. Speaking of deposit, landlords are legally obligated to store these in a protected scheme, and you should get details of this within a few weeks. Make sure they do this. Not only does it protect your money during the tenancy, when you leave if they do want to make deductions, they have to be reasonable
That’s all from the top of my head, I’m sure there’ll be plenty more!