How do you “sell” Monzo to your friends?

Oh crikey, long post incoming…

What I show/talk about all kinda depends on who I’m talking to.

When I’m showing (geeky) people Monzo I tend to show them:

• The feed and send money to/from quickly to see instant notifications
  • Freezing/unfreezing the card
  • Summary, including the (definitely not called the) safe to spend figure
  • Upcoming transactions (if it’s the day before)
  • Pots and round-ups
  • monzo.me / kittys shared tabs / nearby friends - though kinda difficult to demo if it’s just me
  • IFTTT

When talking to people more interested in the financial side I tend to talk about zero fees (for DD bounces, declined payments etc).

I used to talk a lot about the customer support - but haven’t so much recently given the issues before Christmas.

I also like to talk about how you can (usually) find a human (and someone who acts and sounds like a human) to talk to you - either in app, on here or on Slack. Your interaction here is a good example. Just pop in from time to time to check in and update us (even if it’s not good news, or just to say no progress!)

The other thing that I think captures the zeitgeist is that Monzo has, I think, tapped into a societal desire for a new and better way of doing things*. Monzo approaches things with a social conscience - they are looking to be profitable, but not at any price. I think lots of people find that refreshing. Danny’s story is also a good one - he posted something similar on here and on Starling’s forum (when that was a thing). Here he has helped influence a new Monzo feature (gambling block) which has in turn prompted the bigger banks to introduce something similar. Now this isn’t exclusively down to Danny (or to Tom, or to any one person) - but it’s a really interesting story about how the Community can influence and make a difference not just to Monzo but to an entire industry, and to do good in the world.

Another of the things that comes to mind - counterintuitive as it might be - has been how Monzo handles things when they’ve messed up. Tom (or someone) has come on here, or written a blog, explaining what’s happened and why - and what they learnt from it. There have been a few occasions where something that would have been awful - potentially terminal - have been saved by some honest communication.

PS - Thinking aloud, I wonder if there’s a few different angles for advertising Monzo? Common set up, maybe with Monzo staff (or Community members**) sitting in the office, using the app talking through it from different angles (digital glitter like notifications, freeze card, Summary; core banking - no charges and best in class service; ‘monzo with mates’ - nearby friends, shared tabs, network-effect features; community, humility and social conscience).

*Don't let any of those phrases get anywhere near an advert!

**This will be, under no circumstances, me. :wink:

5 Likes