How do you “sell” Monzo to your friends?

Maybe showing what the app does inside would intrigue more people to sign up. It’s all good writing down what Monzo do but until they see it I wouldn’t know what half the features do. I only signed up because of my sister over a year ago now.

1 Like

One part of me just wants to give you 10,000 pound and a camera.

4 Likes

If it helps Ive got a camera :joy:

I’m inclined to agree, boring as showing features sounds its a proven technique.

Plus showing accessibility in the app also would help. I know a lot of visually impaired people who I have recommended Monzo to that love it but would have never used it or trusted it before I told them about it.
I could message all day about advertising tbqh…

1 Like

Not sure how you could express it in your ad, but show that Monzo actual listens to the community and implements our ideas, rather than just being a legacy bank and all for themselves and what they want

2 Likes

Its an idea on the table for sure.

This is a good idea and the ad agency are going to read this thread. Thats why I started it:-)

4 Likes

Oh that’s an amazing idea. Me (back when I worked at Monzo) always listened to the community on Review Merchant things and we always bounced ideas and had a great system. A thing most banks can’t do.

4 Likes

Oh crikey, long post incoming…

What I show/talk about all kinda depends on who I’m talking to.

When I’m showing (geeky) people Monzo I tend to show them:

• The feed and send money to/from quickly to see instant notifications
  • Freezing/unfreezing the card
  • Summary, including the (definitely not called the) safe to spend figure
  • Upcoming transactions (if it’s the day before)
  • Pots and round-ups
  • monzo.me / kittys shared tabs / nearby friends - though kinda difficult to demo if it’s just me
  • IFTTT

When talking to people more interested in the financial side I tend to talk about zero fees (for DD bounces, declined payments etc).

I used to talk a lot about the customer support - but haven’t so much recently given the issues before Christmas.

I also like to talk about how you can (usually) find a human (and someone who acts and sounds like a human) to talk to you - either in app, on here or on Slack. Your interaction here is a good example. Just pop in from time to time to check in and update us (even if it’s not good news, or just to say no progress!)

The other thing that I think captures the zeitgeist is that Monzo has, I think, tapped into a societal desire for a new and better way of doing things*. Monzo approaches things with a social conscience - they are looking to be profitable, but not at any price. I think lots of people find that refreshing. Danny’s story is also a good one - he posted something similar on here and on Starling’s forum (when that was a thing). Here he has helped influence a new Monzo feature (gambling block) which has in turn prompted the bigger banks to introduce something similar. Now this isn’t exclusively down to Danny (or to Tom, or to any one person) - but it’s a really interesting story about how the Community can influence and make a difference not just to Monzo but to an entire industry, and to do good in the world.

Another of the things that comes to mind - counterintuitive as it might be - has been how Monzo handles things when they’ve messed up. Tom (or someone) has come on here, or written a blog, explaining what’s happened and why - and what they learnt from it. There have been a few occasions where something that would have been awful - potentially terminal - have been saved by some honest communication.

PS - Thinking aloud, I wonder if there’s a few different angles for advertising Monzo? Common set up, maybe with Monzo staff (or Community members**) sitting in the office, using the app talking through it from different angles (digital glitter like notifications, freeze card, Summary; core banking - no charges and best in class service; ‘monzo with mates’ - nearby friends, shared tabs, network-effect features; community, humility and social conscience).

*Don't let any of those phrases get anywhere near an advert!

**This will be, under no circumstances, me. :wink:

5 Likes

One other thing I would focus on is the speed of innovation. There are a number of new features every month, which sets Monzo apart straight away, but as I think @Rika said in her Q&A, now that most of the basics are in place, this speed can be put into really pulling away from the competition.

3 Likes

@AngusLovitt Hi, you should look at iZettle ads from the begging until 2018ish, some of them were really good. Apple like style and very clear and to the point. Such as this: https://youtu.be/VGZXhmqN7Zs

I am not so convinced that from a user experience that Monzo is so much better. A lot of apps now have freeze/unfreeze for cards. I can see all my card transactions instantly since most contactless went online. It won’t be long until notifications will be with high street apps.

For me it’s service. Monzo made a significant error with my account, one that had me raging. And apart from a couple of niggles with the initial contact with customer services, Monzo owned the mistake completely. I was pretty blown away by the way it was handled, manner, tone and approach and resolution done perfectly.

I stopped talking about the technology and user experience re Monzo months ago. I think l will be taking about this issue resolution a lot longer.

2 Likes

Yes, the legacy banks are catching up with the fintech features. User experience is about more than just the features available though. It’s about how it feels to use those features.

Monzo offers a much smoother, sleeker and more efficient interface for using those features than any legacy bank app that I have used. The Monzo app is just a more pleasant experience than the legacy ones.

In my opinion (this may sound a little evangelical…) it really makes you feel like you have control of your banking, as opposed to the bank having the power and giving you some access to a few tools to manage your money.

Apart from all the cool features Monzo brings what sold it for me and people I know is how it presents banking as something that does not need to be so formal. People expect banking to be someone in a suit, behind a desk with complicated processes and formalities and apps that try to reassure with over the top security, and needlessly complicated ‘features’. Monzo just feels like it gives you more control, simplicity and makes finances far more social and everyday.

3 Likes

And they are charging how much?

I sold it at work by presenting it as a solution for splitting the bill when we do a 100 chicken nugget run (also known as climbing nugget mountain) without everyone messing about with account details.

2 Likes

I like a lot about the style of this video. Tom comes across well, managing to talk directly to the viewer. No stilted delivery or odd lighting

2 Likes

Pretty much everything that’s been echoed here.

Instant notifications,
Freeze card instantly,
Amazing app with features to track spending,
No fees when spending abroad,
Easily deposit cash via PayPoint,
Pos,
Hot Coral card :wink:

1 Like
  • Instant notifications
  • Real time balance
  • Rich transaction information
  • Fee free spending abroad

Of course, there are lots of other things that could be highlighted and the above features won’t necessarily attract users of other neo banks. But assuming the target audience is mainly customers of traditional banks, the above is what i’d highlight first.

1 Like