How do I find my IBAN ref?

My brother wants to send some money over from his Australian account so I can buy our parents vouchers from him for Christmas. He is asking for my banks IBAM ref number, any ideas how to find this?

Do you mean IBAN?

You donā€™t have one. You can use various websites to generate them, but I wouldnā€™t risk it.

Yes IBAN :see_no_evil:
Why would you not risk it?

Payments might take a few days to go through, or they might not reach your account at all.

Outside of the EU international payments donā€™t have a guaranteed ā€œrouteā€ to Monzo and so they payment might not arrive and take some time to make its way back to your brothers account.

1 Like

The Wise account gives you Australian bank account details on the Australian Dollar balance so he could just do a local transfer which you could then convert to GBP.

Thak you, useful post, the article was fom 2018 so maybe thing shave improved. Might advise brother not to botherā€¦ He will have to send a card :joy:

1 Like

He could also use something like Transferwise to send the money. The fees are lower than most international payments anyway. But heā€™d need to set up an account etc

1 Like

I think you can get Revolut in Australia? Perhaps both get this and he can send it via an Aussie Dollar account to yours (open one alongside GBP as a multi currency wallet) - you can then convert it to pounds for free in the week. Cuts out the international transfer risk.

Just get him to use Wise. Iā€™d highly recommend them.

2 Likes

What about from the EU?

I am (or was) ā€˜full Monzoā€™ but my employer just changed payroll processor that only works with IBANs and weā€™re paid from Germany (parent company is there).

Iā€™ve given them another bankā€™s details with a ā€˜properā€™ IBAN to make sure there arenā€™t any issues in the meantime.

No IBAN or Swift so not from EU either.

You can vote for the feature here:

Maybe if enough of us voted they would add it.