How could Monzo better promote itself?

What sort of gorilla marketing could Monzo undertake instead of/in support of tube train advertising?

I wondered if it would be an idea to have a counter that shows every time a Monzo card is used? Probably against everyone’s privacy (or is it?) - but you could show all the swipes on a global map to illustrate where and when cards are being used? -I would find that fascinating!

What markets should Monzo target? Students perhaps? Military? Cabin Crew?

I think the focus so far has been on the millennial market a bit too much. I personally think the culture of the company and the level of transparency and communication is fantastic. That said, it’s highly unlikely I would switch to Monzo purely because I don’t like the app. The look and feel isn’t professional enough IMHO. I realise a lot of people love it and will disagree with me but I honestly believe the app is aimed at too narrow a market currently.

2 Likes

I’ve seen this kind of comment made before. Can you elaborate on what it is about the UI that you find unprofessional? Or is it just a general feeling kind of thing?

3 Likes

How do you feel about the Starling app (if you use it) out of curiosity?

1 Like

I’m not sure unprofessional was the right word to use - that sounds a bit derogatory, which wasn’t my intention. It’s the big boxes, bright colours, emoji… it just looks like it was aimed at a much younger audience (and I’m only 42 :wink:).

Starling is my main bank and I really like the app. Aesthetically it’s much more to my liking - easy on the eye, side menu with everything easily accessible, etc.

I joined Monzo about four months before I joined Starling - it was my introduction to mobile-only banking. There were a lot of things to like, particularly the fee-free spending and cash withdrawals abroad. I’d been toying with switching to Monzo when I came across Starling. I tried the two services out and found I really preferred the look and feel of Starling’s app.

Over time, there were other things that made Starling even more appealing - keeping cash withdrawals abroad completely fee-free was a big one, along with the overdraft rate and how it takes into account money reserved in Goals.

I did close my Monzo account at one point but reopened it about a month later. I love the “Big List” that Monzo created and was really impressed at how many of the items were ticked off. That level of communication is something I always wanted from Starling. Also, the overall culture at Monzo seems really appealing. I like the fact that they have incorporated round-ups into the Pots feature (something Starling have so far refused to do) and I am desperate for in-app cheque imaging, something else that Monzo have promised in the new year.

I really want to see Monzo succeed and I definitely don’t have quite the same affection for Starling as I did before they closed their forums. That said, I still think the app is a better fit for me and I think the fees (or lack of them) are fairer across the board. If you could take the best of Starling and the best of Monzo, I think you’d have a world beater in every sense!

4 Likes

Sounds very similar to me! The Starling app ‘feels’ better to me (even though they seem to have fallen by the wayside with promised updates lately), but I prefer Monzo as a company - I like how transparent they try to be, and the company culture/ethos is great. Starling is starting to feel more and more ‘legacy’ lately.

You want tweed and magnolia? I love it, but then I refuse to act my age :yum:

1 Like

I think Monzo is making steady progress as it is from a marketing perspective. One thing I have noticed is that it is hard to find my “golden tickets” as a regular spender on Monzo, perhaps this feature could be pulled out and into the “my account” section?

Golden Tickets aren’t needed for new accounts any more, it’s open to all :+1: