Help to Buy ISAs

So with the talk on @MakingMonzo about interest on savings accounts, and the possibility of savings accounts coming to Monzo soon - the only thing I need to totally kill off my legacy bank would be ISAs, including ISAs with a government contribution like a Help To Buy ISA.

I’m 26, haven’t bought a house yet, but been saving in a Help to Buy ISA for a couple of years. It would be nice to totally get rid of my legacy bank in the future and have Monzo for all financial needs (maybe even including the mortgage when I’ve finally saved enough!)

If possible, could we see potential for Monzo to add ISAs in the future? Potentially as a special kind of Pot?

2 Likes

Hi Alex!

I don’t think Monzo will be providing the savings accounts or paying interest, I think it will just be displayed in the app to look that way. Your actual money will be held at a third party. That’s just the way I understand it. Full intigration, whereby you wouldn’t even notice. I would imagine they could do the same with ISAs. It will be amazing :star_struck:

I also don’t think Monzo will be offering mortgages, and much like their overdrafts, they (probably) wouldn’t be the cheapest.

3 Likes

In their plans ahead it’s for pots with interest!

It is there, sure, but from what I’ve seen on Twitter (@MakingMonzo) they will be provided by third parties. I may have missed something, it’s just the way I understood it.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I see! So just got to hope that this third party does it all!

Oh, I like that! a lockable pot perhaps? One that gathers interest over the year? I could imagine devs could have fun with a count down timer until you can withdraw funds!

Any update for this?

I’ve not seen anything and doubt it will be coming seeing as though Help to Buy is being wrapped up soon.

Edit: for those unaware Help to Buy ceases to be for new savers in November. Existing savers have till 2030 to use the account.

1 Like

Would be nice to see a LISA! Especially as people are likely to have a decent amount in those

5 Likes

I’d also like to see a LISA

1 Like

So help to buy ending rumours are true?

Rumours…?

Been news for a while - they were scrapping parts of Help to Buy: https://www.citymetric.com/politics/help-buy-finally-being-scrapped-here-s-why-it-was-terrible-idea-4419