Heat map of purchases

(Dominic Tyler) #1

Just tapped on the map view for one of my transactions, and I think it would be quite cool if somewhere, possibly in the merchants tab, there could be a heat map, showing where I’ve used my card most frequently. For no particular reason other than it would look awesome…

The most popular locations
(Mr Michael j ekers) #2

It’s also pretty useful information for fraud profiling

I’d be interested to see a combined global heat map of all users too (obviously discounting any personally identifiable information) - be interesting to see top overseas destinations, most used towns in UK etc…

(Marco Slater) #4

Would be cool to have a general heat map for your own use, perhaps under the profile section, when that is rolled out.

+1 for this idea. :smile: :map:

( surohpotsirhC) #5

As long as it puts online purchases in a different colour. They tend to default to the registered HQ for a company and that may well cause you a moment of alarm.

(Dominic Tyler) #6

I found with PayPal, for example, that it simply didn’t add one, which was cool.

( surohpotsirhC) #7

Useful. Cineworld defaults to London which wouldn’t flag up as unusual to me, useful and annoying at the same time

I wasn’t a huge fan of the film :neutral_face:

(Adam) #8

As it was an online transaction, it should show the companies head office location which in this case is London.

(Tristan Thomas) #9

That would be awesome! @jamesallison was threatening to build something like this :wink:

(Dominic Tyler) #10

@jamesallison please do!

(James Allison) #11

Maybe I’ll just have to now! :wink:

(Francisco González) #12

Did these myself:

By main categories:

Transaction Map!
Spending sort and grouping improvements
(james_e_bell) #13

thats cool - would be interested to do that myself. though not immediately sure what use it would be!

(Dominic Tyler) #14

@frangz, that’s pretty much what I was thinking, perhaps with a slider so you can see how it changes over time?

(Francisco González) #15

@domtyler Yes. Time would be the next dimension to add to it.

@JamesBell haha, yeah, I’m not sure of that myself. I just find it’s a very interesting way of visualising my spending locations. Probably invaluable information for marketing companies btw.

( surohpotsirhC) #16

Any chance of the info on how you created this please? I really like it.

(Francisco González) #17

This was a quick, manual and dirty Google Maps map. I’ll try to put it together in a gist.

Also, looking at categories, it seems obvious enough how to guess someones’s home and work locations.

( surohpotsirhC) #18

With the info you’ve given I’m already on the case with trying to create it myself. Thanks :slight_smile:

(Moy Williams) #19

I don’t really see the purpose of a heat map. I would agree to a map view though, similar to the one on Instagram accounts where it shows where geotagged photos were taken, then you can zoom in a click on individual photos (transactions).

( surohpotsirhC) #20

For me, it’s a nice to have feature. Where do I spend most of my money? I don’t know about it being part of the core product but as an addon it would be good.