Heat map of purchases

Just tapped on the map view for one of my transactions, and I think it would be quite cool if somewhere, possibly in the merchants tab, there could be a heat map, showing where I’ve used my card most frequently. For no particular reason other than it would look awesome…

11 Likes

It’s also pretty useful information for fraud profiling

2 Likes

I’d be interested to see a combined global heat map of all users too (obviously discounting any personally identifiable information) - be interesting to see top overseas destinations, most used towns in UK etc…

8 Likes

Would be cool to have a general heat map for your own use, perhaps under the profile section, when that is rolled out.

+1 for this idea. :smile: :map:

2 Likes

As long as it puts online purchases in a different colour. They tend to default to the registered HQ for a company and that may well cause you a moment of alarm.

2 Likes

I found with PayPal, for example, that it simply didn’t add one, which was cool.

1 Like

Useful. Cineworld defaults to London which wouldn’t flag up as unusual to me, useful and annoying at the same time

I wasn’t a huge fan of the film :neutral_face:

1 Like

As it was an online transaction, it should show the companies head office location which in this case is London.

That would be awesome! @jamesallison was threatening to build something like this :wink:

3 Likes

@jamesallison please do!

Maybe I’ll just have to now! :wink:

3 Likes

Did these myself:

By main categories:

7 Likes

thats cool - would be interested to do that myself. though not immediately sure what use it would be!

@frangz, that’s pretty much what I was thinking, perhaps with a slider so you can see how it changes over time?

1 Like

@domtyler Yes. Time would be the next dimension to add to it.

@JamesBell haha, yeah, I’m not sure of that myself. I just find it’s a very interesting way of visualising my spending locations. Probably invaluable information for marketing companies btw.

Any chance of the info on how you created this please? I really like it.

This was a quick, manual and dirty Google Maps map. I’ll try to put it together in a gist.

Also, looking at categories, it seems obvious enough how to guess someones’s home and work locations.

With the info you’ve given I’m already on the case with trying to create it myself. Thanks :slight_smile:

I don’t really see the purpose of a heat map. I would agree to a map view though, similar to the one on Instagram accounts where it shows where geotagged photos were taken, then you can zoom in a click on individual photos (transactions).

1 Like

For me, it’s a nice to have feature. Where do I spend most of my money? I don’t know about it being part of the core product but as an addon it would be good.