Google Stadia šŸŽ®

If it is successful --I mean successful enough that Google isnā€™t likely to can it when itā€™s no longer flavour of the month, perhaps. Until then, Iā€™d rather buy games on Steam or GOG. :smirk:

1 Like

Iā€™ve pre-ordered it and I keep switching between Iā€™m going to keep it or cancel it.
I have fast fibre optic and a free Ethernet port so not worried on that front, the controller looks really nice and ergonomic and the selection of games is growing nicely. I even keep hearing positive things about the low latency.
My biggest issue is my collection of PS4 games and Plus subscription. Do I really need another ecosystem to grow my collection on? The lack of physical on Stadia doesnā€™t worry me too much as Iā€™m mainly buying digital on PS4 now anyway for the convenience.
Hmmmmā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve taken a look at Stadia a little closer recently, and while I think some of the benefits are great (play games on any device etc.) I canā€™t help but think about the whole latency issues (input lag being the main one).

With a decent connection, Iā€™m sure this wonā€™t be an issue but sometimes there can be little hiccups throughout the day with internet connections, and I canā€™t help but think if Iā€™m playing an FPS game, and suddenly input lag hits me at a crucial moment, that would tarnish the whole experience for me.

Donā€™t get me wrong, I love the idea and am definetly interested in the founders edition, but I think Iā€™m more likely to ride it out and see actual reviews of consumers using it to see if itā€™s as decent as they promise.

Also, the whole subscription model they have seems to be a little off? Current Ā£8.99 p/m, with that really only giving one free game a month, with the potential for discounts on other selected games? That doesnā€™t seem too appealing to meā€¦ Xboxā€™s Game Pass for example offers a lot more content for roughly the same price, so unless Stadia reform this model or introduce a bunch of AAA exclusives (that donā€™t include pay-to-win), then Iā€™d consider this again!

Fair points, i am still getting it though and if i am not overly impressed, i will downgrade to Stadia Base which will still allow me to play any games i have purchased up to 1080p free of any monthly subscription. But from the report videos from Gamescon and PAX recently it seem latency is not that much of an issue.

1 Like

Not exactly a fair comparison as you are more renting hardware with Stadia to play the games. XBox Game Pass is a subscription service to a catalogue of games, you have to go to it with your own hardware powerful enough to run the games. Stadiaā€™s selling point is that if it runs a chrome browser you can access Stadia to play your games.

So itā€™s a common misunderstanding with Stadia. Itā€™s a subscription to a hardware platform to play games, not a subscription to a catalogue of games. Google are sweetening the pot so to speak with a free game a month, though details of all that are still thin on the ground. So more renting an XBox to play games on, rather than a games rental service which you play in your own XBox.

Except the Xbox is at the other end of an internet connection and you have latency and input lag to deal with

I realise youā€™re essentially renting hardware but are Google doing a per month package where you can play any game they have access to as well?
That Iā€™d be interested in as a complete package.

Very true, itā€™s a problem they will have to overcome.

From all they have been saying I doubt it, they shy away from the ā€˜netflix of gamingā€™ comparisons. I think they are just wanting to nail the service.

Next year they say you can use your Ubisoft Plus subscription with their service, so you can play the games you get via that subscription, so they are doing it via 3rd parties, but not themselves. Beyond the ā€œfree game a monthā€ thing they say, however that will look.

Wellā€¦ Iā€™m still here at this point. Still awaiting the Tuesday launch (access code needed), still have the Founders Edition processing. I can now access family settings for Stadia which is interesting, although I canā€™t confirm the settings without the all-singing, all-dancing access code.

Will it be Tuesday? :video_game:

1 Like

Fingers crossed itā€™s Tuesday.
My card was charged today :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Well, well, well - my card has been charged today too. Looks like weā€™re in thereā€¦

1 Like

Another card charged over here. I noticed it says itā€™ll be shipped by 22 Nov.

1 Like

Todayā€™s the big day - 5pm UK time launch.

Anyoneā€™s FE been shipped yet? Overnight mine changed from being able to cancel to ā€œweā€™ll let you know when your order is on itā€™s wayā€

2 Likes

Nothing yet. Iā€™d expect the sign-up code to be sent by email at 5pm (or more likely, after 5pm) today to get access to Stadia via the app - and a chosen name.

My order shows the hardware will be delivered by 21-November, so itā€™ll probably ship tomorrow.

Oh, my FE has now shipped and should be delivered tomorrow :smile:

1 Like

My option to cancel has disappeared so hopefully will be shipped soon! So excited :grin:

Iā€™ll share my username on here once activated, and we can have a little Monzo gaming group :+1:

2 Likes

Mine has been dispatched as well. Will add my name on here once claimed later.

1 Like

Im still waiting for any emails :cry: Ordered mine on June 8th what about you guys?

1 Like

1 Like