Google Stadia šŸŽ®

The controllers can be pre-ordered separately for Ā£59.99.

Iā€™ve gone in and got the Founders Editionā€¦

Looks like you need an Ultra (which I donā€™t have) to cast to your TV regardless of the BASE or PRO streaming package. These being Ā£50 anyway and the controller being Ā£60 makes the founders edition worth it to me.

Plus it doesnā€™t charge until November so will just cancel if the selection of free games doesnā€™t change.

4 Likes

Thanks, that swung it for me - Iā€™ve gone in too.

3 Likes

Also pre-ordered it this morning.

Founders Edition is very tempting with what is included, first access in November and the ability to cancel.

Iā€™ll probably wait until after E3, but I am very tempted.

Mad for Google stuff, so Iā€™ve pre-ordered it.

The fact that it also works in a browser is great. If they can deliver 4k@60fps via this that will be incredible.

As for the subscription, iā€™m OK with it, even if they bundle games. A GeForce 2070 costs Ā£450, so thatā€™s 50 months of Stadia Pro sub. Iā€™m OK with that, especially since that just the graphics card. If I donā€™t have to buy PC hardware again, beyond a laptop, monitor and peripherals again, Iā€™ll be happy.

Next year the Base model will come out, where access is free, but you have to purchase any game you play. Locked to a 1080 resolution as well, which is impressive. I can think of a few friends I can get on board and gaming with me if that happens.

Itā€™s an interesting idea but youā€™re basically renting a server off Google for Ā£9pm to play your games on (if you want 4K60) plus the initial Ā£119 to get the controller and Chromecast.

In the long run surely a console is cheaper?

Unless you really want to play on your tablet, phone etc away from home Iā€™m struggling to see a benefit.

1 Like

Yeah, need to balance it up. But the idea is that anything that you can get a chrome browser window on your can play, which is a big lure, for me anyway.

Iā€™m down my mums at the moment, and if I could just fire up chrome and play something, then that would be great,

The Ā£119 gets your three months of Stadia pro as well, as well as three months for a friend.

1 Like

No thanks.

1 Like

I have pre-ordered the founders edition too, im really looking forward to it. There is another Stadia Connect to be streamed on Monday 19th where they are going to give more info and hopefully announce more games :+1:

1 Like

Feel like it will be great for the casual gamer, still to much latency for me to be happy with it.

I have a Nvidia Shield TV and have used GeForce Now on it and to be honest the latency is not an issue, but i do find there is some artifacting and jitter when my missus is on the internet at the same time.

Have you tried it yourself? Latency doesnā€™t appear to be an issue.

I should say input lag instead of latency really, I tried Onlive back in the day.

Input lag is a massive issue for me so platforms like this will isnā€™t really for the hardcore PC gamer.

It certainly has come on leaps and bounds in recent years. Streaming was awful years ago, but the NVidia effort is pretty impressive. Looking forward to seeing how Google handle it. Looking forward to taking some games around with me easily. If I can tether my laptop to a 5G phone as well I could even play out and about if the mood takes me.

I thought the event was pretty dull, but Iā€™m more interested in the eco system at the moment, and how it will all look and work. They did say this one was about the games, so canā€™t really fault them there.

Cyberpunk coming to Stadia was welcome news. Hopefully we get that Red Dead Redemption 2 reveal at some point.

Just pre-ordered one too.

Not sure if itā€™s a good idea, I have a PS4 and in the last few years all Iā€™ve played was FIFA and Fortnite a bit.

So not sure Iā€™ll get the best use out of thisā€¦ Will probably drop to the free plan after 3 months.

2 Likes

This swung it for me:

I had the original CC and realised that it wouldnā€™t support stadia so it actually makes good sense for the CC ultra and also really keen for the early access! Not charging until November and the ability to cancel is a massive bonus.

Some footage coming out from Gamescon of Doom Eternal running on Stadia. Looks fantastic, a few little slow downs or moments of low res. However, the internet was apparently restricted at the event. Looks very very good so far.

2 Likes

Yeah - Iā€™m watching this like a hawk. Interesting developments so far, especially the dark UI which has Xbox styling.

Yeah. Iā€™m trying to be realistic, itā€™s not going to be on par performance wise with local gaming, but as long as it gives a good enough experience I will be delighted. And if itā€™s good enough for that, then it should be around to stay and improve further.

1 Like