Google Pay / Wallet

Oh, got you. I thought you were talking about something more sophisticated than enrolling current loyalty schemes in, say, Google Pay. I do that anyway - I always forget to use them. (And where it might be handy - gym membership for example - they need the mag stripe*, so adding to Google Pay is pointless).

*(Mulls whether this might be a genuine use for MST :thinking:)

Also forgot to mention Caffe Nero has a decent implementation, although I wish it showed how many stamps you had within Google Pay.

Itā€™s a bit more complicated than that, but essentially the same thing. Just allows more customisation of the pass such as stylisation and current points balances etc

I have a Subway card in Google Pay but itā€™s just a basic yellow card. Is yours more detailed?

Nope, sorry I meant coloured as the rest of mine are just gray :see_no_evil:

Ok, got me excited for a moment there.

I have a few other coloured cars. Coop, Waitrose, Boots, Staples, IKEA. Tesco is by far the best though with itā€™s points balance also being displayed.

Didnā€™t work, still 6 points :joy:

Also funā€¦ In the Tesco app it says Google Pay and then shows the Android Pay logo :joy::joy::joy: come on, Tesco! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Looks like itā€™s broken ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Weird I donā€™t see the android pay logo :thinking:

Screen prior to this one says Google Pay but then shows me this

:scream::joy:

Screenshot_20180904-231529

Ahhh yeah see it now :slight_smile:

Turns out this is just a Google Pay issue with tesco, it works fine in Apple Wallet :frowning:

Also, I noticed in the faqs of the clubcard app that it seems like contactless Android Pay redemption of Clubcard points was planned at some point.

If you go in the FAQs it says the following in the android pay section:

ā€œForget fumbling around for your plastic Clubcard. If you put your digital Clubcard into Android Pay, you can just place your phone near the contactless terminal to collect your Clubcard points. You donā€™t even need to open the app.ā€

Iā€™m brand new to Android. Iā€™m very impressed with Google Pay. You only have to wake the phone to pay, no need to unlock or iris scan etc. I was boasting about this to my friend and he said whatā€™s to stop him taking the phone and paying for stuffā€¦

I was stumped. It canā€™t be that easy to use someone elseā€™s phone to pay?

It has to be unlocked for me, I think. So thatā€™s biometrics run through before a purchase can be made.

I think I remember reading that higher value purchases might need to be confirmed by fingerprint, but I couldnā€™t swear that thatā€™s true.

I can certainly do it without unlocking, just wake it up. Thereā€™s most likely toggles to turn that off though!

Payments over Ā£30 need extra security, normally a fingerprint etc depending on how you have your phone setup. Under Ā£30 it needs no additional security.

2 Likes

You mean exactly how easy it is to use someone elseā€™s contactless card?!

I personally like the way it works. For small payments you just tap as normal but you can still authenticate properly and make large payments too.

Good point. I enjoy how much easier it is to use than Apple Pay (which I always found fiddly) but I guess I just assumed there would be a fingerprint or iris scan before small payments were made.

1 Like

Looks like Southwestern are running a trial where you can keep your season ticket on your phone using Google Pay!

https://www.southwesternrailway.com/train-tickets/smart-ticketing/itso-on-android-trial

Hope to see this more widely adopted in the future, I know TfWM are doing this as well.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been trying to get access to the Save to Google Pay API and itā€™s a nightmare to be honest. No wonder adoption of Apple Wallet is much better. Anyone with an Apple developer account can create and sign passes but Google want to know in extreme detail what you plan on doing with API access.

Donā€™t think theyā€™d be very happy if I told them I had reverse-engineered the Co-Op and Morrisons loyalty APIs to produce passes with auto updating balances for Google Payā€¦

1 Like

Go for it! :grin: I canā€™t see them being ā€˜madā€™ :yum: the worst they will do is decline your request for access.
I think it would be awesome to have Morrisons loyalty points automatically update, Tesco used to work but itā€™s not updated in agesā€¦

1 Like