Going To The Cinema

No one I know really goes to the cinema anymore

Took my kids three times this break

2 Likes

I love going to the cinema, don’t go that often but beats watching even the latest films at home. Family trip to see minions tomorrow.

My hometown is flanked by 2 Cineworlds in neighbouring towns and the cheapest is around £11/12 a ticket.

Now I’ve moved I am close to a vue which is £5 a ticket (or £7 for 2 on Voxi when with a friend)

At home I went to the cinema for one marvel film a year maybe and star wars.

I’ve been 5 times to Vue already this year.

Cineworld is too expensive in my opinion.

2 Likes

Literally just got home from my local Cineworld (watched Nope).

Ours is incredible. Sod’s Law that I finally became an unlimited member three months ago.

3 Likes

My local cineworld is the bread and butter of my weekly entertainment. I will be very sad if it goes and probably see a lot fewer films as a result.

2 Likes

I guess I can only compare it to myself - last time I went was in December last year when Sword Art Online Progressive: Aria of a Starless night came out

I used to live near a Cineworld and had their Unlimited Membership. I used to go pretty much all the time. I was off work for a long time recovering with a broken ankle (took 2 years - don’t ask!) and during that time I would hobble up to the cinema on my crutches for 10.30am and basically do a triple bill of anything they were showing until closing time. I even ended up being the only person watching High School Musical 3 in the cinema (it was the late night showing - so all the kids had already gone home…). I found having the membership meant that i’d be more likely to see films that I’d ‘take a chance on being good’ because it wasn’t really costing me anything rather than only going to the cinema to see ‘big event’ films. Although I’d spend probably the same about in snacks and drinks anyway while there as a cinema ticket would have been in the first place…

Now that I’ve moved to a city without a Cineworld I’ve really missed not having the unlimited membership now. Odeon do their own one - but the Odeon cinema here is pretty run down and old (historically it’s an important building - but it’s not had much TLC for 20 years or so) and so Vue is the only multiplex in the area. Even the Vue is getting a bit run down now. Apart from the seat upgrades they did during lockdown, the rest of the cinema has been pretty gutted - they’ve got rid of the separate drinks and snack counters (including the ‘upstairs’ one where most of the screens actually are) and the fancy Ben and Jerrys Ice Cream station and just have the main ticket office/snack station now. The city where I live (Exeter) is a little bit unusual as the Council have tried very hard to discourage any sort of ‘out of town’ retail/leisure park being created so that there’s only the City Centre cinemas now - no major multiplexes out of town.

Me and a friend go regularly though and work out which discount is best - Meerket movies for example or we’ve both got employers that offer staff benefits - one of which is discounted cinema tickets.

I was really hoping Vue would setup their own unlimited membership scheme as well - like Cineworld and Odeon have. But if Cineworld goes, there’s not much chance of other chains following their business model…

2 Likes

Was one of my three, alongside Thor and Superpets.

Out of the three, my fave was Superpets :rofl:

This is my cinema of choice too. £4.99 online and can be used in conjunction with Meerkat Movies for about 90p booking fee.

Club Lloyds accepted here too (no booking fee). All six gone now for this year.

2 Likes

We going today with club Lloyds free tickets.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I’ve found. I just go more now.

I was at home doing nothing yesterday at 2050 and just thought I’d randomly check what was on. Nope was starting right then, but as I live so close I had plenty of time to get there before the ads finished.

For me, the fact that our local is only a couple of years old and really lovely makes a massive difference. Our Vue is only slightly further but much older. Even though it’s cheaper, if it was my only choice I would probably only go for the big releases.

I much prefer watching films in the cinema than at home. The comfort, picture and sound quality is loads better than at home.

Usually go on the 2 for 1 Meerket Movies midweek at our Odeon.

I think it has to be a film you really want to see with friends… last film I saw in the cinema was Phantom menace. Uncomfortable seats, litter strewn everywhere and the theatre was half empty - for £20 a person, not including food (it’s forbidden to bring your own food, of course). Vowed never to go back and we never did…

I wasn’t surprised to hear of cineworld going bust - the cinemas are massive buildings with massive car parks… yet you rarely see anyone in them… it must cost a fortune just for the upkeep.

We do have a local family owned cinema… totally different experience - the tickets are about £2 and the food is dirt cheap (although they have no issues with you bringing your own if you like). Unfortunately the big players like disney have refused to give then any films for several years now so it’s mostly little known stuff shown. They do have a dedicated local following though.

This isn’t true. I think cinemas like pretending so people buy their food. Look at the policies of the major cinema owners and you’ll see your own cold food and soft drinks are allowed.

I walk in with a Morrisons bag full of popcorn and sweets, and a few bottles of pop and have never been stopped.

4 Likes
1 Like

They have bouncers on the doors checking bags… no way round here (well, I say ‘round here’ the nearest multiplex is a 30 minute drive) you’d get away with that.

What cinema is that? I’d be the arsehole looking up their policy on the internet, printing it out, and then arguing my case with the bouncers and demanding to speak to a manager if the policy says “Food is fine” (or doesn’t ban it).

Though, I do realise that 9 times out of 10, people are more worried about seeing the film than scoring points :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It was a few years ago - couple of years pre covid… so maybe policies have changed.

I couldn’t remember what chain it was then found it was demolished in 2021 :frowning:

1 Like

Not the best minions film yesterday, if you watch trailer you have saw all the good bits. Not much happening in between best scenes. Had good day out in Belfast but.

2 Likes

Not just me then :rofl::rofl:

1 Like