General Fintech & Banking Articles Megathread

My password manager needs one of either faceID or the master password. The phone pin won’t get you into that. However on my main savings account I use a double blind password anyway (the only thing I do that on, because it’s a pain, but like it’s my money so).

Or, and this will be a wild idea, people should have secure brick and mortar buildings where they can make transactions if they need to. We could maybe call them “bank branches”. But I know that’s just Sci-Fi

1 Like

Isn’t this just the new version of someone watching you enter your pin at a cashpoint and then mugging you later?

I do keep my bank apps installed, and my money is accessible by them, but I never open my bank apps up which both require my face anyway, and use Apple Pay/card everywhere.

What I don’t get about that particular story is you have your phone mugged but don’t bother to check the account to the next day? The first thing I’d be doing is getting another phone and calling Barclays/going straight to branch. Appreciate different folks, different strokes and all of that.

1 Like

Pretty much the reason I live in the sticks and not the city//avoid other people like the plague to be honest.

The only reason that branch banking is so secure is because, er… it isn’t. In the event that someone steals your ID and withdraws your money, it’s so entirely plausible that someone has managed to scam the bank that they refund the money without making too much fuss.

In contrast, mobile banking really is quite secure so, when fraud happens, the banks naturally assume that the customer was somehow responsible.

1 Like

The advice of “Remove banking apps from your phone and keep them on devices that stay at home”…

Come on. Of course that would work partially, but come on.

I have a credit card I use for online subscriptions and things which I leave at home specifically as it’d be a pain to have to update it if it got lost/stolen, but everything is installed on my phone. With FaceID on iOS the chances of anyone being able to get hold of my phone in an unlocked state, and a banking app that has been opened recently enough to not need FaceID to open, is essentially zero.

1 Like

I use fingerprint recognition to unlock my phone, along with the same security with any app that supports it. (I think almost all financial apps do)
I lock the phone whenever I have finished using it, and on the rare occasions I forget, it locks itself after 30 seconds of inactivity.
As @Orinoco mentioned, the chances of anyone getting hold of my phone in an unlocked state is almost zero.

1 Like

Downloaded the Barclays app, needed it just to view the Barclays partner finance stuff for an installment plan. I hate the app, just reminds how bad a design the Barclaycard app was.

Fortunately I won’t have to use it really, it’s only to keep track of any installment plans, so few and far between.

1 Like

Does it still have the terrible quality images that you can tell are just bad JPEG files trying to mask as a UI?

1 Like

Does the Barclays app show Barclays Partner Finance plans now? I have one for my iPhone but I have never figured out how to actually access it online beyond the yearly statements I am sent.

Do you mean the looping video on the log in screen which takes over AirPlay if it’s running?

1 Like

I just recall promotions on the main screen that were usually terrible quality images.

1 Like

I didn’t realise I could use their app for it.

But I know how much I borrowed, I know when I pay it and I know what I pay, so not really sure I need it.

2 Likes

Yeah when signing up to the app, I had the option to just view the partner finance stuff. I don’t have an actual account with Barclays, it did state if you do, it’ll get added automatically or something along them lines.

1 Like

Yes

I didn’t know either, but if it’s an option I’d like to see just for the sake of it. @DaveJ how does it work?

1 Like

That’s my view of it, still awaiting the Amazon purchase to show up

Sorry, just saw your other comment I missed earlier. Nevermind. It must be that Apple plans don’t show since I have never seen this show up in app.

1 Like

If you don’t have a Barclays account just download the app and start the registration process. It then asked me what account I had, so I just selected Barclays Partner Finance as an option.

No idea about if you already have other accounts, maybe it’s a manual thing in settings :eyes:

Is your agreement number 16 digits long in the format XXXX/XXXX/XXXX/XXXX where X is a number? That’s what iUP plans look like.