General broadband discussion

I’m offended your rant wasn’t towards me :joy:

Surly every broadband / mobile service provider does that? Offers speeds of ‘upto’ XXX knowing some users will only be able to achieve this at 3am when no-one else is using the network.

Could be worse you could have no choice in what internet company you have and if you want 100MB pay £150 for it lol…

http://www.du.ae/personal/helpandsupport/at-home-support/Tariff-guide

I don’t bother though I just go for the cheapest TV bundle with OSN HD add on.

Well, this just shows how used to subpar treatment you are! :wink: That’s not how X speed internet should work. Of course, providers have to optimise, not reserving max speed for each user separately is a normal thing. But they should be able to accommodate high usage in peak times, guaranteeing you speed you pay for, 9 times out of 10. What many areas have right now (not Virgin Media specific) is speed as advertised in non-peak times and maybe 50% of the speed in peak times.

What in UK is “a dedicated line”, in Poland is a normal service. :eyes:

1 Like

Overall I’ve been happy with VM. I live in an area where they like to do test and often get free speed upgrades to testing and new hardware

Clearly government policy needs to change making it fairer for the consumer - maybe pay for what you actually get rather than what you ‘could’ get. Although this affects a lot of others areas too such as the headline APR for a credit product etc.

1 Like

I would recommend Hyperoptic if it’s available in your building/area. There are no limits and no throttles. As with VM no phone line necessary but unlike VM you will actually get the advertised speed if you are connected with a cable. I have 100mbs plan and this is what I get on a WiFi connection. You can get a 1000mbs connection as well.

:neutral_face:

2 Likes

What is it ‘common sense’ that things would slow down during peak times?

That’s just poor capacity planning by the ISP. If that happened on my line I’d log a fault and expect it to be fixed.

1 Like

That’s my VIVID 50Mbps 100Mbps right now (that’s the best result out of 5 tests, lowest was 17Mbps) :wink:

@TonyHoyle I’m feeling you, but you can’t get them to ‘fix it’ because it’s not broken in their eyes. ‘Up to’ speeds. :wink:

1 Like

completely agree that its poor capacity planning by the ISP. maybe they should be restricted on selling new accounts in over utilised areas?

@Avishai - do you know when your area is due for an upgrade? Can you get 50 at other times?

They are decent, however the Super Hub really sucks and has security vulnerabilities (I can cause it to reboot with a single UDP packet and could probably get remote code execution if I’ve had the time), no IPv6 and the shared cable (because it’s not real fibre, just marketing BS) sometimes can be saturated and suddenly your connection becomes unusable until congestion clears up.

Judging by other’s experience their marketing and customer service seems disgusting though - why do you have to go to “retentions” if you’d like to cancel? If their service was so great they wouldn’t need “retentions”, not to mention selling rusty shared coax as “fibre” :wink:

1 Like

Virgin Media works for me, as a shift worker its TiVo box means I can timeshift my tv to when it suits me. I’ve had VM broadband for years, always very fast and I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times it’s gone down. I recently polled my neighbours on our Residents’ Association Facebook page and the vast majority were with VM. I no longer have a physical connection to a BT line so changing would be difficult.

IMG_6375

I’ve used virgin for years now and I’m a samknows test point too, so the connection speed is semi constantly monitored - here is the average daily speeds over the last year:

download

upload

I too have the 'super’hub in modem mode feeding a switched gb network with a ubiquiti AP. The latter provides amazing coverage in a 4 story solid brick house.

1 Like

I corrected my post, I’m on VIVID 100, not 50, no clue why I wrote 50 :joy:. I get 100 most of the day when I’m at work. I don’t have 100Mbps in the evenings, maybe 50% of it. It’s still enough for my needs and, since it’s stable and relatively okay ping, I’m okay with it. However, since it’s consistently drastically below 100Mbps in evenings, it annoys me, because I pay for 100Mbps. :wink:

1 Like

We’re currently on Virgin Media, and we’re planning to switch. Two reasons:

1. Agree with other about the provided WiFi router; it’s terrible, but you can replace it so not the end of the world.

2. The customer service is rubbish. We’ve had two outages in the past month - one lasted 5 days, and the other just started today. Both times Virgin updated their website to provide an estimated resolution time, and this was repeatedly pushed back, meaning we had no idea when the issue was actually going to get fixed.

We contacted support directly a few times and they provided estimates that contradicted their website, but also proved to be completely incorrect. I realise that service goes down every now and again, however I expect to at least be given an honest response from the company.

We were looking at going to PlusNet, but based on your feedback we’ll keep looking.

If you are looking for DSL I highly recommend Andrews & Arnold - they’re tech geeks - they provide this service because they love their job and they’re proud of it - no BS, no marketing, no “retentions”, just a raw, unfiltered Internet connection with a decent speed.

1 Like

A&A are excellent for service, but watch out for the costs - I easily exceeded their allowance on the home service.

It’s possible to do that but if you really need more than a terabyte a month there are 2Tb and 10Tb business packages. Most people don’t get close to that kind of usage.

1 Like

TB? They’ve changed then - when I had it they charged a fortune for anything above 20GB!

Yes they did change, now their default consumer plan is at 1 TB and they’ve got business plans which go beyond that. Still quite expensive but you’ll be happy to pay that when things go wrong and they’ve actually got your back.

Virgin seem to be okay - but the upload speed sucks - I currently have 1,000/50, They currently no plans to increase the upload speed