Friends who owe money

So, I’ve had an idea :bulb:

When sending a payment to a friend (ie lending money) an option to state (lending). A reminder to be set to said person receiving the money, reminding them to pay you back :joy:

I think it’d be a great idea. What does everyone else think??

Maybe it’s me, but I don’t think that this is what a bank is for. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I agree. If you lend to a mate it is your own responsibility to sort getting paid back.

1 Like

It was only an idea. I’m not chasing for it and don’t require it, I just know what it can get like sometimes when you are owed money

2 Likes
10 Likes

If your friends aren’t paying you back, stop lending them money. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

How would they get reminders if they’re not on Monzo?

1 Like

My old man always said to me never do business or or lend money to friends or family. It’s good advice as it’s so hard to ask them robustly to pay what is due.

3 Likes

Yep. My attitude to any friends or family who need money is; this money is a gift, if you want to give all or some of it back at any time, I’ll appreciate it, but if you don’t, that’s fine, too.

5 Likes

I’ve got this thing where I’ve managed to make everyone think I have no money.

So no-one asks.

It’s the perfect scenario.

10 Likes

I have this too but mainly because I actually don’t have any money too be giving to anyone else :joy::joy:

1 Like

Some friends are good debtors and others aren’t. Part of it is down to money management skills and part is attitude towards paying debts.

Those who are good to lend to don’t need reminders to pay it back - they’ll settle according to their word and as soon as reasonably practicable. These are the friends I won’t watch the pennies with because the give and take is even over the long term.

Those who aren’t, just say no and point them towards family or the bank. If no one else will lend to them, there’s a good reason why.

Lending money isn’t necessarily limited to handouts. Even things like making a booking on behalf of a group of friends - I wouldn’t do it until everyone has paid up first. If you do, you will discover that some friends don’t actually intend to pay you back promptly and view it as an extended interest free loan and others use you as insurance and will simply not pay up at all if they choose to back out - but of course, they will not declare that. The people who protest at having to pay up front, unless they have a good reason and you agree a payback date don’t bother covering them unless you’re happy to be chasing that money from them for weeks or months.

I agree with the notion of gifting rather than lending and would rather do that to be honest. Or if they have a skill that I could use I might give them what they need in exchange for their time with that skill, even if it’s well over the market rate. Just beware of people who are happy to keep taking!

If someone lends me cash or includes me in a group booking, they’re getting their money back as soon as I can get onto internet banking and sort a transfer. It actually hurts my head to owe in these circumstances but some people don’t mind it at all. It’s probably because I’m quite big on living within means and only borrow for convenience.

2 Likes

I love how the OP probably meant along the lines of lending a mate £20 and everyone else is acting like he means lending them a mortgage or something :joy:

5 Likes

Even so, it’s the principle really.

Whether £20 is nothing to you or half a day’s wages, if it’s an agreed debt it should be settled without the need to chase.

1 Like

haha that’s what I got out of it too :smiley: Which is why I’m the only one to ask a question that’s still unanswered :see_no_evil:

I bet you don’t do rounds at a pub :joy:

Monzo send a team of enforcers round to remind them about the debt, I answered it :smile:

Perfect thanks!

I thought they might go down the voodoo doll torture route but yours makes sense :+1:

2 Likes

That’ll be a losing bet then!

I’ve made a basic site for doing this (0we.me.uk) if you link your Monzo accounts and prefix the transaction reference with “0we” or “owe” then it’ll automatically be allocated on the site for debts or repayments :blush:

2 Likes