Forget your OYSTER at home, USE MONZO instead!

Hi thejayo.
If I’m not mistaken, you HAVE to register the Monzo Card on the TFL website, in order use the card instead of Oyster and to get the result in Pic.
My post had this purpose only, indeed. :blush:

The post above let you obtain this result:

Given that your Monzo card is registered in your TFL profile…

…and the green notice “Ready for travel” is there…

You do yes, but that’s true of any other UK contactless card is it not?

As far as I was aware you don’t need to do anything to use a contactless card instead of an oyster card.

2 Likes

but maybe daily capping and refunds are different if your card registered or not

There is no difference in how contactless works with TfL based on your mobile device, or whether you’ve registered your card. Weekly capping still works if you haven’t registered.

1 Like

They claim the advantages are:

See a summary of the cost of your travel so far today

See your journey and payment history. This will show all journeys for up to the last 12 months

Get email alerts if there’s an issue with your contactless payment card which might stop you from using it to travel

Apply for refunds for incomplete journeys

Download your payments and journey history as a CSV or PDF file

Pay unpaid fares

1 Like

Not disputing the fact that there are some accounting advantages to registering, but you don’t need an account to use a contactless card, which seemed to be the implication of the OP.

1 Like

Also for travelcards and concessions. Contactless card payments on TfL in its current implementation is great for tourists/occasional use, but if you’re using it frequently, or student or elderly et al, you still need an oyster card.

To be clear, nothing here is even Monzo-specific, nevermind arguments over who’s pocket computer’s the coolest.

3 Likes

Right, Kudos OJFord! :sunglasses::raised_hands:

I wrote that with Monzo you can leave Oyster home.
No other hidden implucations :grimacing:

Why did the chicken cross the road?

To avoid being implucated :chicken:

Just kidding :wink::+1:

6 Likes

So I have a monthly travel card on my oyster. Will this be transferred to my monzo card? Is there any benefit for someone who gets a monthly travel card?

Thanks @michaelforni for the pointers on linking your Monzo to your Oyster.

Just to clarify all: you can link any contactless card, including our very own Monzo cards, to your TFL accounts which allows you to keep account of your journeys and spending on the TFL website :smiley: You can use these instead of your oyster, irrespective of what phone you use.

@Goodluckduck Great question. Actually had to check that on TFL website – it’s best to continue using your monthly travel cards :+1:

Let’s remember guys: we’re all Monzo users here - not separated by Android or iOS, etc :wink:
Thanks for everyone’s input. We’ll be closing this thread up.

10 Likes