Flagging Posts

How the place runs isn’t up to me at all :man_shrugging: I know what I’ve been asked to do and I do it. When I have time.

If I cross a boundary somewhere or get it wrong I suspect Monzo will moan at me.

5 Likes

Not sure if this is aimed at me, but surely you’re making the decision about where to move a post? If Monzo is dictating you move all off-topic posts to some hidden area, then that’s a different thing, but without being rude and all due respect intended, I don’t see other members of the Coral Crew commonly acting in this manner.

3 Likes

Not rude at all.

In part I’m trying to avoid every thread being opaque to newcomers (I know, I know) just because it’s full of flag chat. Maybe it just annoys me more than other people.

3 Likes

Has it not occurred to you that perhaps it’s because some of the flags are unjust? Or that they’re not applied consistently in situations where the context is flipped?

If it’s not a consistent thing, it’s understandable for people to question it.

In the what happens if Monzo goes bust thread, you deleted my flagged comment before I had even seen it had been flagged, so I had no opportunity to edit it appropriately, or challenge the flag. Because in my view, calling someone’s decision that they made to mitigate the risk of Monzo going bust sensible was on topic, and I suspect, or rather, hope it was flagged for querying why their decision had been flagged, or just because the comment I was replying to had previously been hidden.

Surely I should have been allowed the chance to edit my post, and fix it, like everyone else is allowed to. Or it could have just been left hidden, like all the other flagged comments were? :man_shrugging:

That’s not consistent. Why was my comment handled differently, and in a more heavy handed manner that didn’t feel appropriate?

Don’t even get me started on the closure of @Neil0’s thread because you had a spat with another user. That was just uncalled for and the thread didn’t deserve to be closed because of it. You could have handled it better.

4 Likes

That’s fair enough. As has been said, you volunteer here and moderation can be a thankless task as I know from personal experience, I just think there have been times beyond the flagging posts where discussions have been needlessly shutdown which is disappointing.

With that said, I’m going to draw a line under my comments as I don’t want to risk coming across as personally attacking you which would never be my intent. :handshake:

2 Likes

Oh mine always get flagged it’s annoying

1 Like

Yes but why should every flagged post derail the topic onto the justification of flags? What’s the point? There’s nothing we can do about it.

As to consistency. I do actually have a job and don’t read everything. That’s also why no one here pays me.

1 Like

It said “I don’t know why this has been flagged”! Or, at least, the only one I meant to move did.

Some people should be flagged more TBH.

1 Like

Why? Surely it is possible to have an adult conversation without the need to shut out dissenting opinions. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Your comment was perfectly logical, but when you’re replying to a deliberate troll, there’s always going to be flags flying high.

You do read this forum…?

7 Likes

I’ll give you that one. :zipper_mouth_face:

You aren’t new! You should know this.

Discussions are one thing, the increasingly dramatic “Monzo is dying” users who post day after day to be negative about everything, or to tell us every 5 mins they’ve left. Snore.

3 Likes

That’s not the issue, nor is it what I asked. The issue is you deleted it before I was active to see the system notification, so I couldn’t amend it. Because you removed it. I’d like to know why you did that.

I just want to clarify, along with the others here, I am by no means trying to attack you personally here. I just take issue with the way you moderate in some instance, and am trying to chime with providing some feedback.

I’ve had this gig before, it’s not easy, and you do it in your free time because you want to and because you care. I fully appreciate the role you play in this community.

Edit: misread your post. The end of my post did say that yes. The start of my comment called their decision sensible. If I had the chance, I would have removed the query as to why their post had been flagged, as I suspected that was the issue with my comment.

3 Likes

Then just merge them all into one thread about it? Many of those users never plan to revisit beyond the initial moan.

The solution is to ban people flagging inappropriately. I’m not saying the odd flagger I’m taking about the serial flagger(s).

2 Likes

:suriname::timor_leste::uruguay::tanzania::tuvalu::wallis_futuna::taiwan::us_virgin_islands::st_lucia::uruguay::thailand::syria::uzbekistan::timor_leste::uzbekistan::sweden::uruguay::st_pierre_miquelon::venezuela::zimbabwe::st_lucia::us_virgin_islands::st_lucia: I could flag posts more if you guys prefer

5 Likes

I do think something could be done about this, perhaps permanently lowering their trust level so that their flags aren’t as effective, or disabling the flagging option.

1 Like

I didn’t realise they were trolling honestly. I take things as they are, because context is nigh impossible to convey. I suspect you’re right though.