Flagging Posts

That would be a useful option to have honestly. I’m sure I’m not the only person to have accidentally flagged a post from clicking the 3 dots to view who liked it.

7 Likes

lol nope I flag on purpose , and just for good measure I tell em why I flagged em :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not sure about here, I’d need to re-check the guidelines, but a lot of communities seem to forbid this act.

Personally I appreciate seeing the extra feedback. It’s useful not only to improve as a contributor to the community, but also so you’re not just :exploding_head: when you see a flagged post and can’t fathom a reason for why.

1 Like

For as long as the current “Off Topic” section is here, I don’t see why there should be any content that can’t be posted there - (on the assumption it’s a topic that is on the legal side of things and otherwise within scope of the CoC).

There’s so many threads in here about stuff I can find elsewhere - advice about pretty much anything financial - can be covered by multiple different sources. Questions coming up about product purchases - you can find reviews elsewhere too. etc etc.

So I don’t think there’s such a need for such strict moderation of what topics get posted. If you look at the Code of Conduct, only these things are excluded:

• Don’t post anything that a reasonable person would consider offensive, abusive, or hate speech.
  • Don’t post anything obscene or sexually explicit.
  • Don’t harass or grief anyone, impersonate people, or expose their private information.
  • Don’t post spam or otherwise vandalize the forum.

So sure there may be a lack of proper categorisation in some parts of the community - but I think anyone Level 2 or above can move topics categories if they feel it is incorrect.

If you then don’t like a topic someone is posting. (and it fits within the framework outlined in the code of conduct). Then don’t comment on it. If you really don’t like it. Hide the topic.

But for as long as the “off topic” section exists, and there’s no explicit “Keep this only about Monzo / Fintech” rule - it really bothers me when perfectly legit posts get hidden/unlisted/flagged in the masses.

9 Likes

And even though it’s been explained multiple times, your selective quoting proves that.

1 Like

For me, the key community guideline that should apply to these threads is this:

“We avoid posting low-value content that doesn’t add to the discussion.”

Just because something isn’t expressly disallowed doesn’t mean that it adds value.

4 Likes

There is nothing selective about my quoting… My post was about how people treat other people on this community. The rest of your post was as irrelevant as when my father says “I’m not a racist but…”

Everything after the but is just self justification of a view point that I think is wrong

To bring that back round you may not like and you may even disagree with what people post but there is no reason to call them stupid IMO.

1 Like

That’s a fair point and I had missed that side of the Code of Conduct.

That said. I do believe that point is selectively upheld - which I guess is my problem in line with the topic posted here.

People (myself) posting reaction gifs - low value and doesn’t add to discussion.
People (myself) posting jokes about Excel - while I’d argue they might be high quality jokes… Does it add to the discussion?
Etc etc.

There’s just as many examples of low-value content that is perceived to be acceptable than there is unacceptable, in that case.

I guess that’s the bit I find the most challenging - some low value, non discussion enhancing posts - are OK - others are not.

6 Likes

The person you are talking about, I have helped multiple times. Never have I insulted him (or the other person that does it all the time), called them stupid as you are implying.

I think the threads are stupid, pointless and don’t belong here. Many others have expressed this also. As you can see in this thread.

The two main culprits won’t see this anyway because they never venture out of their own threads.

There’s a fine line here, and most of the time I believe you do attack the topic or the comment rather than the commenter. But I think on a few occasions, you have crossed that line and directly insulted at least one of those from my memory.

While I personally think nothing of it, because it makes me laugh, if anything, there have also been a few instances where we have a disagreement of opinion, and rather that respond to my opinion, you attack my choice of username and call me a troll. :rofl:

6 Likes

It might be dripping with sarcasm, but I do my best to try and avoid being insulting.

Mainly because of the Flag Crusaders!

2 Likes

Just to be polite here, 2 things to note:

• Sarcasm doesn’t come across well in text at all
  • Not all people are able to understand, or infer sarcasm at all.

So just be a bit wary if you’re posting sarcastic things online :+1:

12 Likes

As a rule of thumb I have absolutely no problem flagging any post that appears to be insulting towards any specific person or group. I live by sarcasm but a text based forum is not the place for that.

Calling an argument stupid - fine, but next time try to make an actual argument against it.
Calling a person stupid - unnecessary, probably hurtful, and derails and degrades the conversation.

4 Likes

We’ve not even discussed the derailing of threads when people are discussing “why had my post been flagged” and all those posts being flagged too :joy:

2 Likes

Sarcasm in text form is so difficult to spot, in fact, that literature has been sarcasm-free since the very first book. TRUEFACT

1 Like

I ThInK WE oUghT TO uSe sPONGebOB text FOR All sarCASM goIng foRWarD

Although now I’ve put that in spongebob text it looks like I’m being sarcastic. Drat.

5 Likes

Propose we use implement a sarcasm-o-meter for every post to indicate how seriously each post should be taken

tenor

1 Like

Not sure if you’re aware but the meter is just bouncing around and doesn’t really seem to indicate any sarcasm?

I was so close to falling for this bait :joy:

2 Likes

What funds and resources? There’s no community team anymore.

11 Likes