Flagging Posts

I do have to congratulate everyone for not flagging anything in this topic yet :laughing:

3 Likes

so tempted :slight_smile:

1 Like

Because it’s stupid and adds nothing to the conversation.

“What’s the number for CEX?” does that need to be a topic?

3 Likes

When people make comments like that I flag them. What on earth do you think is achieved by calling someone or someones view stupid.

ducks as this whole topic descends into chaos and gets closed down

3 Likes

Hang around a little more on here and you’ll see plenty of reasons why. The comments on those topics descend even further off topic and end up being locked which doesn’t help anyone.

Part of the problem is level 3 can flag a comment and it will instantly be hidden.

This gets mentioned a lot and I think it’s a bit heavy handed. Discussion naturally evolves and the focus changes - it’s normal. If you want to split the sub thread out into it’s own topic, that’s fine, but all too often someone comes along, locks the thread, and shuts the conversation down.

4 Likes

I don’t call them stupid directly and I’m trying very hard not to mention names or threads. Although one big clue in the last post.

How many things do you google in a day? 5? 10? What if everyone on here posted whatever they google instead of doing it themselves?

This isn’t a search engine, it isn’t for people to solve your simple problems.

1 Like

Are you sure :wink:

Oh you deleted it lol. Sorry for flagging you - nothing personal, was just proving a point :smiley:

1 Like

I don’t want this to seem like some kind of attack on them, because it isn’t. Hopefully this is taken for what it is, constructive criticism and feedback on their approach to moderation, which hopefully they’ll take on board. I respect them as a moderator of the community. And I know personally from past experience, community management is a tough job and it can be difficult to separate your opinions from your role to moderate objectively. The lines get blurred, things get heated, and minds get frazzled.

These issues arise when moderators start confusing their objective role with their subjective opinions. Moderators are humans too, and mistakes are bound to happen, but too often I’ve seen a moderator interject into a thread that they generally disagree with, become heavy handed with the rules by enforcing them in a situation they have otherwise let slide elsewhere, respond in a confrontational manor, thus detailing the thread which inevitably gives them an excuse to permanently lock.

This is how @Neil0’s otherwise superb discussion ended up getting shut down the other day.

Had the moderator left the situation alone and not used their subjectivity to enforce the rules that thread would likely be alive and kicking right now.

4 Likes

What have you achieved here, and what point were you trying to make?

It was in relation to this comment :slight_smile:

It used to take several people flagging a post for it to be hidden but not anymore.

So you’re passively aggressively calling someone stupid? I still don’t understand why It’s necessary.

We all know who’s posts you’re talking about and that poster causes no harm on this place whatsoever so how about just leaving them alone.

The forums guidelines say don’t read tone into posts. I would go one step further and say “Assume positive intent”. Calling someone or their views names is bullying pure and simple and I think (different topic) that a number of people on this place walk a very fine (and cross it more often that not) with cyber bullying.

This is not intended to post fight with you personally but maybe consider when you’re calling (or implying or inferring) someone or their views are stupid that there might be a more constructive way of discussing your differences with them

9 Likes

Level 3 member here. Reliably flag posts that warrant it. Flagged posts are rarely if ever hidden just from my solo flag. So it takes more than 1.

Personally, I think flagging is overused by a lot of people when they disagree with someone’s opinion (or a person), instead of actually having a sensible discussion about the point.

A lot of people seem to flag (or get annoyed at) one or two people who create topics here that they could have searched for, or Googled. Personally, I think there’s no harm in asking those questions on here, afterall it’s a community where people should feel able to ask anything they want - same as just asking your friend group a question.

However, what is annoying, is when people attack somoene for asking that question. In theory what should happen is someone asks the question, it gets answered, then potentially locked.

I dunno, maybe it’s all because people have less flexibility or whatnot since Corona etc, but this forum has definitely turned into a more aggressive place towards some/certain people.

Also, the discussion where people would either agree to disagree, or see each other’s side of the argument has vanished.

It’s just a shame :man_shrugging:

11 Likes

Give it a go on mine if you wish. I proved it with @glasgows post earlier.

Unless it’s just me :confused:

Flagged!

You must have super powers!

Or perhaps the level of the flagged user holds some weighting too.

Seems to have gone invisible for me

2 Likes

There you go. Did it on yours, unless it’s just me that sees this? :thinking:

lol thanks @anon75400416

1 Like

Well now that’s just rude! :sob:

@Ordog super powers confirmed.

1 Like

There’s sadly no “unflag” option either :broken_heart:

4 Likes