Fintech friends: Monzo partners with TransferWise for international payments

Not according to my recent chat with COps — I was told I had to wait as it’s only available to a limited number of users, even after explaining Monzo people on the community directed me :frowning:

Not sure if they have had to limit it, but I was initially told “not at the moment”, until I said “The forum said it was good to go” - He went away and came back saying it had been done!

I mentioned the community etc. and after a lot of back and for this was the reply:

“Hi Jai,

Unfortunately we can’t activate it at this point. Only a certain percentage of users are able to use it at the moment. We’re rolling it out over the next week or so just to make sure we can fix any unexpected problems or bugs +1 After we are sure that it’s all running smoothly, you’ll be sent a notification.

I’m sorry again, hopefully it won’t be too long a wait!”

That is the downside to releasing things quickly - The frustration if you can’t get it!

True, begs the question why it has not been released through :monzo: Monzo Labs? Seems to have been neglected a bit recently.

4 Likes
1 Like

I think the most confusing thing for the 1% of Monzo customers (the people who check this forum), is the different ways Monzo announce/launch their products.

With joint accounts, it’s a really early beta test but with public visibility (through the forum).

Coin Jar and other features were available immediately to everyone.

This transfer wise partnership is available immediately to some… but not others.

It’s just a little disjointed.

3 Likes

Seen that, but doesn’t really give any explanation as to whether one of the features fits into Monzo Labs or not. ‘Get Early Access to the Newest Monzo Features’ or in this case, not.

I have to agree, not only that but the mixed communication between Monzo people on the community (which is great) versus that on the in-app chat. Never mind, it’s not a huge issue, guess I’ll wait :slight_smile:

1 Like

Coincidence? :smirk: Thanks Monzo!

1 Like

Excellent - Eyes are everywhere…

3 Likes

Sorry about that Jai, glad to see it’s been resolved though!

To clarify - if anyone doesn’t have access and would like to try it out before we’ve finished rolling out to everyone, do just send us a message in the app :blush:

2 Likes

emphasis mine

Shouldn’t you be checking the fee for sending from a GBP account to a Euro account there, to be consistent with your other comparisons?

Unless I’ve missed something (granted, I’m not an regular international transfer man) - There would be no fee, as you would be using your Euro account to transfer to another Euro account.

So the only thing you have to worry about, is the initial exchange rate?

If you’re transferring GBP (to Euros) then presumably you’re not transferring from a Euro account (you’re transferring to a Euro account)?

1 Like

No worries, thanks for following up Liam :smiley:

1 Like

Well, with Revolut, you’d just open a Euro account (takes 2 seconds).

So once you’ve topped your GBP account up with £100 (no fees), you’d then convert them from your GBP account to your EURO account (fee free - exchange rate very good), and then send a Euro to Euro transfer?

1 Like

That would be the longer way to do it, as you could just transfer from your GBP account to the Euro account & do the conversion that way. But either way, you’re converting GBP to Euros..

OK - But… wouldn’t that come to the same thing (going back to your original point)?

1 Like

Transferwise on Android;

InShot_20180625_163333470__01

1 Like