Fingerprint trouble again

When I switch on fingerprint security it reverts to no security every time I log out and in again.

This is particularly a problem at the moment because the app is not recognising my fingerprint most of the time. I think this is to do with too short a time interval for my finger to settle.

To reproduce: Set fingerprint to unlock, log out, log in => no fingerprint security.

There is talk elsewhere that the app requires a PIN if fingerprint recognition is turned off. I do not see this happening, it just opens.

Huawei P10
App Version: 9.21.0

How often do you log out? There is no need to do so as a standard action when closing the app.

Logging out resets your app settings back to default, which for security settings is no authentication on opening the app and pin authentication for things within the app such as sending money to another person.

4 Likes

It also stops you getting push notifications for card transactions

1 Like

I voted for this only because the setting seems to disable it-self after an update every now and then. I have reported it to Monzo.

I still got them after logging out once

This hasnā€™t been reported in a long while, I believe it has now been resolved. I certainly havenā€™t had it happen to me and my app updates more frequently because Iā€™m a beta tester.

1 Like

I am not a new user and much of the time this seems to have behaved properly. I had the ā€œswitching security offā€ issue back last August and it appeared to be fixed, but has now reverted.

I log out as seldom as possible, but because the fingerprint recognition is now frequently failing with a ā€œmoved too quicklyā€ message even when Iā€™m really really careful (I donā€™t get this from other apps), if I do it a few times then I am effectively logged out. It is becoming a pain.

I donā€™t know how the API to the fingerprint reader works, but Iā€™m wondering whether there is a sensitivity parameter that has changed and now is set wrong for my phone.

If there was a PIN alternative then I would use that.

Resetting back to default after logging out is bad practice. I thought that had been stopped after I raised it last year. If occasionally due to an upgrade a reset is needed then it should be a one off and properly flagged. The stealth removal of security really shouldnā€™t be happening.

I thought it was resolved last August, but itā€™s certainly happened a lot with me recently.

This has been happening for me too. Also been randomly logging me out. Think linked.

Strangely itā€™s been behaving better recently. Maybe Iā€™ve just been hyper-careful with my finger movement! My other fingerprint apps still all work fine.

Iā€™d like to add my voice here, in hope the app will get changed.

Iā€™m Nnt sure if the app, my phone or my finger is at fault, but I would very much like to passcode to protect my Monzo account instead.

(to stop my granddaughter keep checking her pot and at the same time seeing mine!)

Not going to solve the fingerprint issue but you could hide your pot so she canā€™t see it

If I understand correctly you have fingerprint authentication enabled currently and youā€™d like a passcode instead?

If thatā€™s the case how would a passcode make any difference to your situation. Surely your fingerprint is far more secure at protecting your account from your daughter?

I read it differently. Has a fingerprint scanner, but it doesnā€™t work for some unknown reason, and so has it disabled. So wants to set a PIN instead.

Does this not apply on Android?

On iOS if my face isnā€™t recognised, I can input my pin as I have that security turned on.

Ahh maybe. I thought it did ask for PIN now if you didnā€™t have any biometrics enabled :thinking:

(:android:) If you disable ā€˜Unlock app with biometricsā€™ in Settings ā†’ Privacy & Security, then you can simply open up the app whenever and see things. Only when you want to transfer money out does the PIN authorisation kick-in (or biometrics, if you have ā€˜Authenticate with biometricsā€™ enabled)

It would be nice to have a setting that somehow neatly provided:

• No PIN/biometrics required to open app
  • PIN required to open app
  • Biometrics required to open app (with fallback to PIN)
1 Like

Monzo are not interested in solving this issue.
It is the main reason that they cannot be my prime account.

I have been asking for nearly 2 years for a PIN authentication on opening or reopening the App (like Revolut or Starling or even First Direct). When biometrics donā€™t work it provides a respectable level of security, but Monzo are not interested in providing this - they seem to assume that biometrics will always work. Hereā€™s news - they donā€™t and I suspect itā€™s a Monzo problem, not a problem with my phone. Why? because I have biometrics working correctly with other Apps.

Their main argument is that itā€™s OK because you canā€™t transfer money without a PIN (this is true, but it exposes details of your account balances, transactions etc to anyone who has managed to access your phone when it is active (I donā€™t want to have to switch my phone off every time I am not using it for a couple of minutes).

So meanwhile they are putting energy into other areas, and ignoring a significant security loophole. Itā€™s a shame because technically itā€™s not a big deal, so it must be a deliberate management decision.

I have tried, Iā€™m not trying anymore. I know they are not interested. So I would advise looking at alternatives if you want a secure account. By the way, Revolut do a great account for kids.

Meanwhile I use Monzo for small things, where I can keep the risk under control, but I am sure I will move away in time because they simply will not listen.

Are you sure? If FaceID fails, I get this?

I have this on in settings

Yup, Iā€™m sure!

You have an iPhone. Monzo think that security is important for iPhone users, but not for Android users.
I am not buying an iPhone in order to get security on my Monzo account!

Itā€™s ridiculous, but thatā€™s the way they want it.

NOTE: I do secure my account with a third party product, but itā€™s not ideal and it only kicks in after the App has been inactive for a while.