Fees for manual cash and purchase with cashback?

Hi, do the overseas ATM fees also apply to manual cash and purchase with cashback transactions? Or are they only for ATMs?

2 Likes

assume you mean using the card at a bank counter?

Yes, in theory you can walk up to a bank counter and ask for cash over Mastercard. I’ve never tried it, but it’s supposed to be possible. I don’t know how many, if any, banks actually offer this though.

1 Like

I have done this successfully abroad (with a credit not debit card) and had to show my ID and wait while they rang Mastercard or my bank…not sure which…but some banks I tried told me to use their ATM :slight_smile:

Sounds like it isn’t terribly fun, but if the fees are, indeed, overseas ATM fees as have been presented and not overseas cash fees (which would include manual cash and purchase with cashback), this may be a way to avoid the overseas ATM fee? It would be good to get clarification on this.

Out of curiosity, what was your reason for doing this instead of using an ATM?

1 Like

I did it for two reasons, firstly I needed a large sum in a hurry that was over my normal withdrawal limit and over the machine limit, secondly I was not sure of my PIN (that was before I changed every card I own to the same PIN)

Interesting, especially on the second part. Was this a chip and signature card, or did you simply force CVM fallback (hit enter at the PIN prompt and hope the bank approved it anyway)?

It was chip and pin, but they did not use their chip and pin terminal but fished out a NCR payment slip and the machine for embosed cards, ran the card thru that and took it to the phone and wrote on the slip an authorization code from whoever they spoke to

Wow… must not be a request they handle often then if their chip terminal wasn’t setup for it!

1 Like

they needed to speak to their manager and read a manual first so they had probably never done one before :wink:

1 Like

Wow! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d be curious if this incurred any of Monzos fees @simonb / @RichardR any insight into this?

1 Like