Fantastic Beasts 2 : The Crimes of Grindelwald

I’m really looking forward to this film! Nice to see Hogwarts and Dumbledore back on the big screen :grinning: I really enjoyed the first film - Eddie Redmayne is great :grinning:

5 Likes

I’m so hyped about this. Huge Harry Potter geek over here and these films are great in their own right. The appearance of Hogwarts again in this trailer is so, so wonderful. Can’t wait for the release! :smile:

2 Likes

I really like Eddie- such a good actor! My personal fave movie of his is The Danish Girl, and Theory of Everything is so good too. Thought the romance between Newt and Tina was quite forced (Queenie and Jacob ftw) but I’m excited to see how the movie plays out. Just hoping we get to see Credence again!

2 Likes

I loved Fantastic Beasts, I will definitely be seeing this.

NEW TRAILER!!!

1 Like

Looks really good! Can’t wait to see it!

Can I confess to only having watched the original umpteen films and not ‘Beasts” without getting a severe telling off (or worse)?

As long as you watch it before the new one comes out! Haha.

This new movie is a clearer link between the storyline of the original Fantastic Beasts and the Harry Potter series, since it’s more to do with Dumbledore and his friend-turned-dark-wizard Grindelwald.

You may recall that in the Harry Potter series, Grindelwald was imprisoned in Nurmengard and killed by Voldemort when he was trying to obtain the Elder Wand.

4 Likes

Honestly can’t say I am as excited for this as I was the first one although I am sure it’ll be a good film

I really enjoy Harry Potter. Have a whole corner of the classroom (Primary Year 3/4) dedicated to it but I was never interested in Fantastic Beasts. Was it the setting changing terms like ‘No-Maj’ instead of Muggles? Or because its premise was about a book within the book? Or was it because of the animals and it was not about the lore or world around it? I’m not sure but I never watched it in the end.

This upcoming film feels more like the film I would enjoy. So, should I watch Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them?

3 Likes

Yes, it’s a great film! And feels like the opening into telling more stories that connect with the Harry Potter storylines… I’m expecting that this film, or perhaps a sequel will show the duel between Dumbledore and Grindelwald, which was stated to be the greatest wizarding duel of all time.

That duel was said to have taken place in 1945, which was also said to be when Tom Riddle was in his final year at Hogwarts, so it could all come together very well, and perhaps there’s even potential for Grindelwald to have played an unknown part in turning Tom Riddle towards the Dark Arts.

4 Likes

I watched Fantastic Beasts but thought Tina and Newt’s relationship was so incredibly forced in the movie. Queenie and Jacob had a lot more chemistry and seemed to develop more normally- I’m tired of plots just presuming that because there is a male and female lead they should fall in love. The kiss at the end came out of nowhere when they barely spoke two words to each other the whole time.

Aside from that I guess it was a pretty immersive experience with the effects but it wasn’t something that I would be obsessed about. It doesn’t have the same magic for me as the original series.

4 Likes

Yeap, agree with this. I understand it’s set in America but it just felt odd to here that instead of Muggles.

1 Like

It’s colloquialisms that JK has always had in place :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I’d personally like to see a film based on the first wizarding war or the rise and background of voldermort at some point. Especially if more non Harry films are planned

1 Like

Going to see this tonight, anyone else? :slight_smile:

I saw it last week. I’ll wait until you’ve seen it before commenting! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also saw it last week and will hold off on commenting! Hope you enjoy :slight_smile:

1 Like

How was it, Simon?

I thought it was fantastic. Depp was brilliant as usual, and it was a good continuation of the first story.

I will say that it probably requires you to have a decent understanding of the wider Harry Potter canon to understand some of the references. The appearance of Nicolas Flamel, for example, is only really interesting if you remember him as the inventor of the Philosopher’s Stone from the first book/movie. Likewise with the backstory of Nagini in her human form.

It very much feels like a middle story - they’ve said there might be up to 5, since the series has to lead up to the infamous Dumbledore/Grindelwald duel. So I’m wondering how quite a few things play out in the next few movies.

1 Like