ElevatHer - networking app for women in fintech

We have officially launched the first of its kind networking app for women in finance and fintech to find mentors and peers in the industry. Download the app on Google Play or App store and tell us what you think!

https://elevather.com/

Hi all,

Iā€™ve re-listed this thread ā€“ Iā€™ve chatted to Sheena over email and have verified her address.

Welcome to the forum, Sheena! Hope @ElevatHer is a success :blush:

@yen The post is still hidden, think you need to reject the spam flag as well

Unhidden now :slight_smile:

Oh god, not another ā€œEmpower Womenā€ app / website or whatever :unamused: I dread to think the backlash that would ensue if it was men only :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

How is segregation of one gender supposed to ā€œsolveā€ the issue that you mention?

You donā€™t see Monzo creating Men or Women only areas for their app. They believe in gender equality but take a far better approach:

I guess you will have missed this since you just signed up to plug your app? :thinking:

I also canā€™t believe that this has been moderated and allowed to be honest :confused: Surely people should be contributing to the community instead of using it as an advertising platform?

10 Likes

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

My opinion on the matter is gender is irrelevant - talent and enthusiasm should reign.:1st_place_medal:

8 Likes

In sectors where females are historically underrepresented, initiatives like this can help open the door to new opportunities

6 Likes

What about the other way round? How does it help with that?

Or those who go by a gender other than Man or Woman?

2 Likes

As a finance and Fintech app it doesnā€™t need to cover the other way round

1 Like

I can see this turning into a bad discussion so all Iā€™ll say is this:

I feel that this app is a very narrow minded approach that isnā€™t looking at, or is even going to solve the bigger picture.

I doubt we will hear back from the OP anyway. There is no intro, pleasantries or anything - just the same copy paste paragraph that they have been spamming across the web.

Profile%20%20%20ElevatHer%20%20%20Monzo%20Community

Oh and theyā€™ve even dumped it in the wrong category too:

ElevatHer%20%20%20networking%20app%20for%20women%20in%20fintech%20%20%20General%20Chat%20%20%20Monzo%20Community

Moved it now, thanks

1 Like

An App solves nothing, youā€™ve got to look at the culture within the city to start with

1 Like

Hi @Ordog

We support initiatives that support women in tech and finance. Weā€™ve signed the Women in Finance charter, for instance. And we host events to help women network and advance their careers, like our events with DevelopHer.

Personally, I donā€™t agree that a networking platform for women in any way negatively affects men. And in industries typically dominated by men, women-only spaces exist to provide a safe space for women to connect with each other.

We allow other companies to post here, especially other Fintechs. We have a whole category dedicated to this - Fintech Q&A's. We just check to make sure itā€™s not overtly sales-y or dangerous.

5 Likes

Difficult isnā€™t it, to improve the inclusion of one group, you exclude another group. Itā€™s an interesting debate but probably not for this thread I guess.

2 Likes

I never said that it negatively affects men. My argument was that I feel it exacerbates the issue by only focusing on one aspect instead of looking at the bigger picture where everyone is equal whether theyā€™re men, women, non-binary etc etc.

Also, whatā€™s wrong with everyone getting involved and helping regardless of gender? Again the cause that Monzo support is great because anyone can join, but the description of this app states that it is women only for some reason. Theyā€™re contradicting their own agenda here by wanting to stop exclusion but then excluding others themselves?

This is 100% sales-y :confused: I posted screenshots of their bio and evidence that theyā€™re pasting this same message across the web to name a few.

Itā€™s a networking app that is geared towards putting women in the industry in touch with one another. I donā€™t see how that is exacerbating anything, itā€™s just enabling women to make connections with others with a similar experience to themselves.

Speaking as a woman in a male-dominated field, this is actually something that is helpful.

4 Likes

Youā€™re missing the point Iā€™m making entirely and ignoring the others.

All this is set out to do is tip the scales the other way and move the issue somewhere else. Weā€™ve only touched on men and women here too, so isnā€™t it selfish to think that women are the only ones who are ā€œbeing dominated by malesā€?

1 Like

Iā€™m not missing the point, you seem very offended that a product has been made somewhere that isnā€™t intended for you.

Nowhere did they claim that theyā€™re aiming on ā€œsolving the bigger pictureā€. They said itā€™s a networking app for womenā€¦ thatā€™s it.

2 Likes

I said male-dominated field, I didnā€™t say women are being dominated by males.

1 Like